Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

speed daddy headers install question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 06:49 PM
1 Year Member
Default speed daddy headers install question...

so i am gathering stuff for my engine swap and top swap and decided to get some headers and choose speed daddy since the come recommended by other threads as being the best bang for the buck headers.

however, in my research someone had mention that these are like the SSAC headers and some other brand. when reviewing threads on the grand prix forums and here, many members had mentioned that they had to hammer the firewall to have clearance. is that needed for the speed daddy headers or not?

Old 01-13-2014, 08:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by vikesfan
so i am gathering stuff for my engine swap and top swap and decided to get some headers and choose speed daddy since the come recommended by other threads as being the best bang for the buck headers.

however, in my research someone had mention that these are like the SSAC headers and some other brand. when reviewing threads on the grand prix forums and here, many members had mentioned that they had to hammer the firewall to have clearance. is that needed for the speed daddy headers or not?

I had to hammer the firewall for clearance o2 sensor ..

Old 01-13-2014, 10:01 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by zjerry
I had to hammer the firewall for clearance o2 sensor ..
how much did you have to pound it in?

Old 01-14-2014, 04:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by vikesfan
how much did you have to pound it in?

I hammered it in a little not much just for o2 sensor .. It may have cleared without the dent but I didn't like how close it was to the wires..

Old 01-14-2014, 04:34 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by zjerry
I hammered it in a little not much just for o2 sensor .. It may have cleared without the dent but I didn't like how close it was to the wires..

that is great news.

sounds like i will be ordering them this week.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:25 PM

Where are you getting your speed daddy headers from?

Old 01-15-2014, 03:03 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by djhixter
Where are you getting your speed daddy headers from?
ebay most likely, there are a few options.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:54 AM

It depends what type of car do you have? If you put info in your signature it will help all of us from asking these questions every time.

If you have a newer wbody car they should install fine. On the older cars they will need firewall modification. Mine required a good bit of work to install

Old 01-15-2014, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by z34phoenix
It depends what type of car do you have? If you put info in your signature it will help all of us from asking these questions every time.

If you have a newer wbody car they should install fine. On the older cars they will need firewall modification. Mine required a good bit of work to install
Where did you get yours from z34phoenix?

Old 01-15-2014, 07:39 AM

mine are speed daddy headers. they are slp copies and the same as the original ssac headers.

I had to cut a 8" by 6" section of fire wall and then notch and fold/ hammer back the rest of the fire wall to make them fit. (there is actually a double fire wall on these cars so the interior is still protected) the main issue with the SD headers is that the flex can leak on some sets and they have a odd goose neck on the down pipe. with lowered cars this is a problem.

I have eibach springs and the goose neck comes very low. we are talking about 3" clearance at best.

the design of the pacesetter headers does not have this odd shape and will fit better on our cars.

Quick Reply: speed daddy headers install question...