Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Opinions on Adding a Resonator To GMPP System

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 05:23 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Opinions on Adding a Resonator To GMPP System

I have a new GMPP Exhaust (Magnaflow) on my 05 SC SS. I have driven it now for 5-700 miles since the installation. Its too loud and drones too much for my liking. Only because If i have to take a business call or go out in it sociably its just too much. I called Magnaflow today and they suggested installing a resonator on the system just behind the CAT. The part # is 14419 and its a 3" in and out, 4" in diameter and 14" long.

What do the experts here think about this resonator and how it would perform and/or do you have any other recommendations?

As I stated earlier. I just want to tone it down a bit. Make it easier on the ears from inside of the car... TIA

Old 06-09-2011, 07:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I use a 3" resonator on my car with big bad *** quiet polished mufflers. I'm not sure the resonator will help - I think it just sort of changed the note. Makes it even lower. But I feel your pain. I hated driving my car with loud exhaust. I played around and wasted a bunch of money before I got it right. Its hard to find someone who can tuck big mufflers. I think thats what it'll take to quiet it...

Last edited by JuniorCar; 06-09-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

like what he said^^ as far as performance not much going to change. the longer the resonator the better. i think summit or jegs have one like 24". i have a wbody store resonator on my monte and it does quiet my loud exhaust down with deeper tone sound. off topic* my 99 ta is in rebuilding progress right now. can't wait to hear how it's going to sound lol. im so used to the loud exhaust and drone now so it doesn't bother me anymore. anyway here's what the mods in the TA, custom cam, AFR heads,ls6 intake with 80mm bbk tb, pacesetters headers, texas speed true dual exhaust with sweet thunder muffers ( one chamber mufflers i believe) no cats, might install a cut out later. my neighbor going to love me when i go to work 3 in the morning!

Old 06-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by silverbullitt
like what he said^^ as far as performance not much going to change. the longer the resonator the better. i think summit or jegs have one like 24". i have a wbody store resonator on my monte and it does quiet my loud exhaust down with deeper tone sound. off topic* my 99 ta is in rebuilding progress right now. can't wait to hear how it's going to sound lol. im so used to the loud exhaust and drone now so it doesn't bother me anymore. anyway here's what the mods in the TA, custom cam, AFR heads,ls6 intake with 80mm bbk tb, pacesetters headers, texas speed true dual exhaust with sweet thunder muffers ( one chamber mufflers i believe) no cats, might install a cut out later. my neighbor going to love me when i go to work 3 in the morning!
I hear you had a neighbor who loved me when I would go to work 3 in the morning,Told me he could see me in sights on his scope .had 1969 chevy wagon with 350 headers dual exhaust Hush trush mufflers was loud

Old 06-09-2011, 11:34 PM

I thought the GMPP system came with a resonator after the cat. The pictures I've seen of this system show one. I know it looked shorter than the factory one. I think a resonator would help if you don't have one.

You would probably like the Borla Cat-back system for these cars as its not very loud at all but enough to know its there. Mine has gotten a little louder since it was first installed but not much. The mufflers on this system are smaller than the stock ones but don't make it very loud. The resonator on this system looked like it was just as long as the factory one. I wish I had a good camcorder to record the sounds of mine.

Wayne

PS. I thought you were selling your MC.