Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

need some help please!

Old 06-22-2011, 06:50 AM
Exclamation need some help please!

i just turned 18 and i got my first monte carlo ss pace car. i love my car and am looking to get some after market parts for my car with out breaking the bank. i am starting school in the fall so i have little money. i do not know much about cars but i would like to change that i love this car. i am looking for an air intake for my car that is on the cheap side. when i look on car sites i can only find k and n and they are to much for me. the other thing is i need so ideas on exhaust systems for my car that isnt extremely loud but i dont wanna sound like im driving a drivers ed car.
if u could help me that would be great..

p.s. i have a 03 ss pace car completely stock

Old 06-25-2011, 08:33 AM

OK!! Welcome to your new Passion!
1st) i would, when at all possible to make your mod. for instance the intake. premade ones are 150-300 when you can get the parts to make one for less then 50. if you search for FWI or CAI DIY or homemade home built. you will find a lot of diff plans, ideas, and pictures to guide you. My Websites on car do main and piczo in my sig have a few plans and guides although our cars are diff the idea is still the same and will be very close.

after the intake your next mod should be to replace the "U-Bend" it is a part of the exhaust GM put in to protect the rear O2 sensor. it literally bends the exhaust into a U section. this kills flow and must go. they have replacements available at ZZPerformance and wbody store. but a local exhaust shop can weld in a section of pipe and weld in an O2 bung for cheep too. since it will need to be welded anyway just find a shop and have them do it all. should be around 25-40 out the door for this.

the stock exhaust is said to be good till 300 wheel HP but on NA you want more flow. i would strongly recommend Headers. i know many prob think im crazy for this. but as you go forward in modding you will want and need more flow. the stock cat is not a major restriction, nor are the stock mufflers for any power level you will see NA. the major restriction is the cast exhaust manifolds. and it is not worth time buying ZZP power logs that will end up costing more then a set of headers. the headers will improve exhaust scavenging and improve the power band and low end response. one caution is to find headers that have the smaller primaries and smaller Down pipe say 2.5" for the DP. as the larger headers are more for Supercharged cars. Doing headers and leaving the stock exhaust will give great results. and keep a sleeper look.

after Intake and exhaust, your next big gain will be from a High Velocity insert from ZZP and or bigger TB.

Around this point you should be learning about tuning the cars computer or PCM. invest in a tuner and learn to use it to unlock lots of power and MPG at the same time... or find someone local that has a tuner that you can bribe with beer or food or other things. oh your 18 so no beer yet.

but by this point you should have a good understanding of where you want to take your car and will know the questions to ask.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the site post pics when you can.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Welcome to the Forum..

Old 06-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

z34pheonix did a great explanation! Check out this link too: https://montecarloforum.com/forum/he...n-3800s-10942/ and then you'll become an expert in modding 3800's

Old 06-30-2011, 03:30 PM

Thank you for the help I will look into it now and I will post some pics now to so everyone can c my ride

Old 06-30-2011, 03:40 PM

I put some pics up

Old 06-30-2011, 03:42 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum. There's tons you can do to the car.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Welcome to a new and expensive hobby!!
You have an '03 Pace Car, I'm jealous, that's what I wanted to get when I bought my Monte (I came close, mine is blue and silver, the important part).

I began with enjoying my Monte and then got an itch for more. I was thinking some mild mods but never thought I'd go so far to requiring a PCM tune, but I did.
There are a LOT of different directions you can go with modding. Take your time, do your homework and ask questions. All of us have different experiences and are more then willing to share.

You indicated starting school and having a tight budget. Figure out your long term goals (so you don't buy mods that you may later ditch due to switching to something else). Such as one of my first performance mods with a ZZP 2.5" DownPipe and high flow cat. If I was planning headers, some headers require a different down pipe and this mod would have been a waste.

If you are into hitting junk yards, you can try and hunt around for good condition coil packs from a 3800 Series II Supercharged engine. They are a tad different (not by much). I would not drop more then $15-$20 for a complete set. I'm running a set of those on my Monte and my Grand Am (again, the effect is VERY tiny, just a slight improved throttle response).
Anycase, if you want to check out my mods, hit up my web site:
2004 Chevy Monte Carlo SS

Old 07-04-2011, 08:14 PM

thank u so much your has helped me out i will be intouch with u