Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Magnaflow Cat. FAILED EMMISSIONS ,

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I know in my state, they scan the onboard computer of '96 and newer cars. Older cars get basically put on a dyno to do a tail pipe test. If you come in and your car is not in a "ready state" on a '96 or newer, they will test it the old way on the rollers. NOW, if you come in, FAIL to test by scanning the computer then the ONLY way to pass is by the computer.

But this is the system in my location (and it's not even state wide).

I know "some people" who have maye, maybe not, cleared the computer and readiness data, went to get checked, was told it's not ready, had it put on the rollers and passed.

Unfortunately, I am really drawing a blank on the EGR issue. The odd part is, I believe this began AFTER you did the non-fouler trick for the downstream O2. This may sound silly, but when looking for a cause of the problem, can you check that the non-foulers on the O2 are tight?? THat there is not a hole or leak from them? Not sure if it will mean anything, but it's just a curiousity.
Otherwise, I am stumped. I'm also further stumped that this is not a code in the shop book!!

I have the GM shop manuals as well... The real thick ones, and as you stated, the code P0492 is NOT listed in them at all, not even in the back of the manual.. That's what has me puzzled so much... I will check out the Anti Foul to make sure that there is not a leak also.. Quick question.. Some people on the net are using 2 anti foul and some people use 1, currently I have 2 of them on, do you think I should try just one? May be worth a shot... Matter of fact, I'm gonna do that for my next step... Thanks for the info and possibly a "cure". I'll b back !..lol...

Old 08-08-2012, 12:13 AM

Good news, in a way... The infamous P0402 code is GONE .... YEA. !!!!!! I have no idea what part of what I did that cleared it.. After all I did the code finally went away... BUT ! Now I am Back to the P0420 code... I am currently trying to address this by using a used cat n downpipe if i can find one... Im hopeing this will be the end of my quest for the Emissins testing... I'll be back soon... Thanks again to EVERYONE that has helped me thru this... Very much appreciated... Mjclemm...

Old 08-08-2012, 06:09 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Last thing you did was remove one of the non-foulers. Question, I recall reading at one point you bored both of the non-foulers out??
If so, what I read in the past is only one needs bored out for the O2 probe and the other stays the way it is, just to space the O2 from the exhaust stream.
Perhaps the downstream O2 plays into both codes??? Just a guess and another guess is perhaps it has to do with both the non-foulers being bored out. Perhaps using one bored and the other untouched will yield the desired results???

Again, I'm purely guessing and have NOTHING to back that guess with.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Last thing you did was remove one of the non-foulers. Question, I recall reading at one point you bored both of the non-foulers out??
If so, what I read in the past is only one needs bored out for the O2 probe and the other stays the way it is, just to space the O2 from the exhaust stream.
Perhaps the downstream O2 plays into both codes??? Just a guess and another guess is perhaps it has to do with both the non-foulers being bored out. Perhaps using one bored and the other untouched will yield the desired results???

Again, I'm purely guessing and have NOTHING to back that guess with.
Oh it's all cool dude, I'm willing to try anything because of this "wild goose chase". Never ever had issues like this..... Unreal isn't it? I did the downstream Foul plug with no good results, put them back to the original and still nothing, then I cleaned the Maf sensor, the PCV vale, the fuel Pump canister, made sure All tubes were hooked up, the vacuum tubes on the canister EVAP, then recleaned out the EGR, as well as the egr tubes, added a screen to the EGR valve Gasket, took off most of the sensor plugs and cleaned them, made sure they all were plugged in well n tight, all fluid levels were checked, fresh fuel, new fuel filter, changed my air filter, and other stuff here n there and when all was done, the EGR Code went away!then shortly after 15-20 minutes later, the P420 code smacked me! Lol....so, I plan on re installing the stock catalytic converter back on with a new o2 and see what happens... Sick of this for sure, my wife isn't happy as well...Lololololo... I'll let ya know... Mjclemm.. Thanks..