Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 02:35 PM
Bob
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust

My friend and I install the cat back magnaflow on my 06 LT3 monte.Part #16728,right now I don't have the means to post,(SORRY).At idle it sounds like a V8,but when you hit the gas the system makes more noise then I thought,but reminds you that you still have a V6.The tips are wide almost 4 inch,but ther is one small problem. Part #16728 & 16707 are the same system. The exhaust went in with no problem,all it took was about 30 min.The exhaust is made to fit a 06 07 monte without the cutouts,so the top of tips hang about 3 inch from the top of the cutout.So we hung the mufflers at the center slot of the rubber hangers,that put the tips at one & a half inch from the top of the center,which looks much better.I think i might try shorter hangers. Go to magnaflow's web site & look up 05 to 08 mustang V6 sound clip the sound is close to that. Install i paid $725,the car does respound better.10 extra HP this for changing the exhaust,not bad.As soon as I can find a way I will post.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:44 PM
Default RE: Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust

Hi Bob,
Thanks for your post & information about your new exhaust.
I hope that you can post a sound clip in the future.
Member SolaraSlayer `GP Dave, just put Flowmaster 40's
on his LTZ and it really sounds awesome.
Have you done anything to your intake ? Cold Air Induction ?
Do you have any other Mod's planned ?
Member FlyNHgher, has just did a Custom Grille on
his LT3 & it looks great....
Will you ever take it to the track & get it timed ? : )
That would be great to know what number's it runs : )
The 3.9L is a powerful V-6, and you just made it more
powerful...Thanks for sharing, and we will be looking
forward to your future posts + pic's : )
EnJoy the tune's from your new system.
`Space

Old 01-31-2008, 08:02 PM
Bob
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks Spacerider for the comment. Yes the 3.9 is a strong V6 motor.I plan on a cold air intake as soon as someone makes one to fit the 3.9. But for now that is my only upgrade.The only thing I did not do that magnaflow instructions said is,to disconnect the vehicle's battery before removal of the OEM exhaust. so the computer can reset itself with the new system.I don't know if I should still do this? They also said this will prevent any electrical accidents. I don't see how my this removing the OEM exhaust.With these new cars I don't know,but I think i'am ok.With so few upgrades parts out there for the 06 3.9 monte makes you think that there's not many made with that motor. My guess is less then 3000 were made with that motor.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:38 AM

Hi Bob,
I don't know how many 3.9L were made for the Monte Carlo,
but I do know that the 3.9L was only used in the Monte
Carlo in the 2006 Model LT3's & LTZ's.
I've attempted several times to obtain this information
from GM Chevrolet Division, but little help.
They stated they do not have these numbers.
I bombed several departments with emails with little or
no replies : (.
Below is information on the 3.9LZ9 engineused in GM Vehicles
LZ9 Engine
The new LZ9 3900 features Variable Cam Timing, a new feature on a pushrod engine, roller rocker arms and has a variable resonance intake manifold. It produces 242 hp (179 kW) and 242 ft·lbf (332 Nm) torque, with a wide torque curve. A 3-valve version may be introduced later.
Applications:
[ul][*][align=center]2006 Pontiac G6 GTP Sedan / Coupe / Convertible [/align][*][align=center]2007 Pontiac G6 GT Sport Package Sedan / Coupe [/align][*][align=center]2007-Present Pontiac G6 GT Convertible [/align][*][align=center]2006-2007 Chevrolet Malibu SS [/align][*][align=center]2006 Chevrolet Impala/Monte Carlo[/align][*][align=center]2006-present Buick Terraza/Chevrolet Uplander/Pontiac Montana/Saturn Relay [/align][/ul]

Old 10-19-2009, 03:20 AM

I have the same magnaflow too and love it, you can usually get a used one on ebay or cragislist. I wanted a valid warranty so I got it here. Magnaflow 16728. Also some of the forum sponsors usually have a sale going on. Either way its a great exhaust system, sounds great, and very easy to install.