Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Intake mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 09:28 AM
Default RE: Intake mod

K&N outflows pretty much everyone with there system and the shield from what I've read does help. But I still think this would probably help in the performance field. My plan is CAI intake w/boxfrom MPD w/ some different tubing instead of the stock tubing. Here is if you want to use the intake filterand shield, then you could replace with your own tubing that you want to use.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:47 PM

If you place one manufacturers intake against another, and it is in the same place, the only thing that could make a difference in performance is the intake piping size. A 2.5" intake will outflow a 2" intake. The only thing that is going to make a difference is where the intake is located in relation to the engine. Anything in the engine area is going to be hot, plain and simple. I've never experienced the K&N with or without the heat shield, but unless its some crazy new heat absorbing plastic, then im sure the gains are so minimilistic that it doesnt really matter, the only other thing I can think of a way to keep hot air out is to completely seal off the filter but from the picture it looks like it doesnt do that. All I'm saying is that I'm sure the K&N is a well designed intake to fit perfectly, but I wouldn't shell out that kind of money for something that looks just like a stock replacement with a cone filter.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:33 PM

The first pictures I showed was the whole K&N intake system. Which have been proven over and over again that it makes good numbers on the dyno,and many people have felt the power differance from switching to K&N total system.Which is notjust a stock open cone filterreplacement. The 2nd picture I showed was something that person did there self which is useless, I was just showing people it. The one I was talking about from MPD is a completly inclosed. It's also lined with heat instalators so that it stay's colder. Which have also been proven to staya lot colder. So that is why I think that the MPD box with different unresective tubing would work the best. Which other people think so too on other forums I've been on. Can you keep it completly cold, no that is impossible. But these have been proven to make some pretty damn good numbers.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:20 PM
Bob
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

06mcltz thanks for looking into it,as for that intake on the 3.5 sure looks sweet.but i would be worry about the heat the motor puts out,not so much from highway driving but slow city driving.ONE thing for sure is that the AFTERMARKET seems to have forgot about us 3.5&3.9 owners. I'am hoping to get around 265hp to 270hpwith a cat back exhaust & air intake.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:23 AM

I agree with you. In the summer I'm going to take the Flowmaster's off and selling them to one of my friends for his truck, and going to replace it with the Magnaflow Cat-back system, and doing the MPD intake with different tubing. Also when the warrenty is up, I'm going to put a Random Tech high flow cat on it. Should give it a nice growl anda bit more performance with upgrading the whole exhaust to 2.5" and straight through mufflers, and a high flow cat. I agree with you and a lot of people do too, they have forgot about us 3.5/3.9 guys.