Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

7th Gen ('06-'07): Replacing ruffled intake piece MOD!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 11:29 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Replacing ruffled intake piece MOD!

So, earlier this week, my 2007 SS tore yet ANOTHER ruffled intake which connects my pcv line, so I decided okay, THATS IT! And I decided to fab up my own which will hold to be stronger in the long run I hope. And I thought I would share this for all my 7th gen members, this may work on 6th gen, but im not sure how the engine bay is.

Im sorry guys but I DID NOT take pictures .

What you will need is !
1 3.25 Silicone Elbow found HERE
Silicone 45

Screw Driver
Knife/ Razor
2 - 3.25 Pipe tightners, found at home depot.
Silicone Sealment
PcV grommet, if you would like to be fancy, I didnt use one :/
Mass air flow sensor cleaner.

Total Cost of mod - 25 dollars, replacement part from GM 50-60 dollars

Start off by taking off your old elbow by removing the two cupplers and removing the tube, and the MAF.

I would recommend cleaning and spraying your MAF connections,inside, and if you would like you could take off your throttle now and clean that as well, thats a different cleaner however.

Remove your MAF, set it aside, it may be hard to take it off, I would recommend needle nose plyers for this and SOFTLY pull it off.

At this time, you can pull apart your air box and clean it out, replace it w/ a new filter if you would like.

Anywho, as you see, the tube you now have, the new silicone tube, is way too big to fit with the stock set up, so this is where your knife and razor comes in. You will need to measure it and cut it !

After the cutting is done, you need a PCV port for your pcv line to the engine. Look at your old rubber set up, and you should be able to PULL the connection out, pluck it out and pluck a hole through the silicone with the knife, DRILLING will not work !

After the hole for the pcv is dug in, you can either
A) Seal your grommet on it, OR
B) Stuck your PCV stick from the old one in the hole, as long as the hole is tight enough, seal around it with the Sealant, and Also I Recomment SILICONE sealant as it will keep it air tight. I also reommend getting a small paint brush from a kids paint set, and painting around the hole on the INSIDE of the tube, sealing around the hole as well.

After doing these steps you will need to allow it atleast a hour or two to dry, then reseal some more with some more sealant. I recommend 2-3 coats, try not to chalk it up so much until your last coat so you can make sure around the area is sealed.

Reassemble, respray the MAF if you havent, and reconnect. And Wala you are done with a cheaper replacement, safer than home piping, AND itll last. This is what you get at the end !

Name:  3B28E42E-9315-45B8-AFB9-05062BFD29D3.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  80.1 KB

I still have to clean up the extra stuff with a razor and maybe repaint it, but it works like a charm, no leaks or anything ^_^, and my response feels much better, probably cause my last one tore in half.