Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

How to install CAI

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 09:06 AM
Default How to install CAI

Hi all, I was just wondering if you guyz can help me start my new project of building a CAI for my car a 2002 Monte ss 3.8. If there are links out there that have step by step instructionsthat would be great. Im starting at square one with nothing. I plan on using a K&N airfilter what size would i need? Any help would be great. Thanks-Buddy

Old 12-14-2007, 09:25 AM
Default RE: How to install CAI

Hi `Buddy,
There are several member's that have built their own CAI.
I'm sure they will post their infor,when they see your post.
You can always check on the MCF Search Engine for
information on CAI.
[:-]Suggestions [:-]
Regular Home Depot materials (or PepBoys piping) and a dremel can build you an intake. Just make sure your angles are solid. For that you might have to get rubber elbow hosing from Pepboys or Autozone.

For any small fittings that you wanna fabricate, such as the MAP sensor inlet/flange, believe it or not you can probably achieve that using JB-weld (2-part epoxy adhesive). Use regular-bathroom grade silicone to create a mold of what's on the car right now and use JB weld to cast. Use the same for attaching said pieces to main pipe.
Useyour K&N filter for your final step.
Good Luck, and I hope you take pic's of your install,
and share them with the forum.
`Space

Old 12-16-2007, 07:06 PM

Thx spacerider for the replyi guess this is unkown topic.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:41 PM

This may sound retarted but if i was going to attempt to build my own, knowing my skill set i would by this product i saw at Murray's or pep boys (forget which one). Basically it was plastic and rubber pipes all kinds of different sizes, shapes and bends. It was designed so you could figure out what size of everything you needed before you started cutting it.

^if that makes any sense.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:08 PM

I'm not a fan of the homemade ones. I still have mine laying around the garage in pieces. It worked ok, but there were always weird rattles, fell off the TB once, and just some dumb problems.

Picked up my Wizaired and will never look back. Very well done and not that expensive.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:58 PM

Since I rebuilt my custom fender well intake, I have driven almost 15,000 miles without any problems with it. It's engineering pretty well though, all the piping is 3 sections of welded 3" stainless steel straight tubing, with one 90* elbow & one 3-1/2" to 3" reducing elbow.This is the K&N filter that I used.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

I am very pleased with the results. It's a 100% improvement on the stock, restrictive airbox. My car sounds totally different now too, thelocation of the filteris much more efficient because it'spulling in colder air. Nice deep growl from the engine also.