Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Flexible tubing intake?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 05:25 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I know ZZP sells it for $10 per foot?

Old 10-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Really? The local hardware stores around here do (menards, lowes, etc)- in the lawn and garden section. Although I have seen both Intense's "smooth wall" and the stuff from the hardware, and I'll tell you that the hardware store's ridges are a good deal bigger than the stuff Intense sells (granted that was like 5 or 6 years ago, but I'm sure they still sell the same stuff). From what I remember, the stuff from the hardware was a good bit cheaper than what intense was charging though.
well maybe home depot around his area sell the tube. the home depot in my area only sell the plastic tube kind that's why i figure home depot doesn't carry them. i guess it's like every where you go. like there's something you can't buy here in chicago and other places you can. we can't buy spray can paint in chicago you have to go to the suburb to buy it. one autozone in my area open 24 hours and the rest of them in the city/suburbs all close at 9-930pm. intense and other vendors are kinda pricey they sell by the foot on top of that you have to pay shipping and the $$$ does add up. well i guess like bum said maybe home depot/menard in your area sell this corrugated tube. if not maybe ace hardware.

Last edited by nemesis; 10-06-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by silverbullitt
home depot doesn't sell the corrugated tube. i got mine from intense, wbody store and zzp also have them too. you need about 3.5'' to 4' long and also get the short stainless duct tube to connect from the filter to the tube so the filter won't fly out like bum mentioned. 3 ring clamps size 3.5" to 4" and iat harness.

http://www.wbodystore.com/grandprix/...ness-p-65.html
So if i buy the tube i need to buy the coupler from intense then to connect the tube to the normal tube?

Old 10-06-2009, 11:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by paintballerr78
So if i buy the tube i need to buy the coupler from intense then to connect the tube to the normal tube?
here's what you need.

iat extension harness
three 4" ring clamps
filter
corrugated tube
inlet F-duct (the silver cylinder tube in the pic)
http://www.3800performance.com/Merch...roduct_Count=4

if you look at the pic i post of my car, it's pretty simple to do.
get about 4' of corrugated tube. you probably don't need that much just cut it off for what length you need.

put the F-duct cylinder one end to the filter and screw down with the first ring clamp.
next, the other end of the F-duct need to insert in the tubing and tighten it down with the second ring clamp.

position the tube where ever you want the cone to sit in the fender wall or down by the foglight like mine.
now snake the tube through the fender wall opening and connect the other end of the tube to the TB and put the 3rd ring clamp on it. on my car i snake the tube through the headlight outlet cause there's less bending for the air flow.

if you don't want to buy the F-duct you can always try to make your own but it need to be thin so it will fit in the corrugated tube and filter. also it have to be strong cuz you have to clamp it down without smashing it.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Wink

here's what you do, its so cheap. i got a K&N filter, then i went to the junk yard and got an intake pipe off of a 3.8 thunderbird(its really flexable and smooth inside, plus its long enough) then i put a 3" coupler on the end of the thunderbird pipe, snaked it up behind the headlight and the headlight actually holds the pipe in place. the coupler (3") fit perfectly into the airbox no clamps needed. now here is the cool part, i got a 4" chrome elbow pipe at the very bottom of the thunderbird pipe so it sucks up the fresh air from outside. so you can actually see the elbow pipe at the bottom by the wheel. cool huh? oh yeah, it keeps my motor temp below that first quarter line. 02 3400 LS

Old 10-09-2009, 07:39 PM

cool huh? oh yeah, it keeps my motor temp below that first quarter line.
lol, what? How do your IAT's (intake air temperature) being slightly cooler have any effect on your ECT's (engine coolant temperature)?

Old 10-09-2009, 09:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

The GOOD stuff isn't cheap. There is some nice flexible tubing available that is REAL smooth, compared to the convoluted duct hose typically used, even smoother than what Ryan has. Here is some, but at McMaster-Carr, you have to buy 5 ft @ $10.89/ft, which would be a little over $60 shipped for the 4" High-Flow duct hose for dust.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#duct-hose-products/=3zqatb

But according to the catalog, "Instead of a wire support, this hose has an external polypropylene support that provides a smoother interior for up to 40% better air flow. The support also provides excellent crush resistance plus acts as a wear strip."
Wait, did I read that right? 40% BETTER air flow? NICE!
And with a temp range of -60° to +275°, to me this is about as good as it gets.

My only concern would be that the pressure rating seems a little low compared to some of the other flexible duct products they offer.

McMaster-Carr catalog #5915T39

High-Flow Duct for Dust

• Ideal for dust, grinding dust, wood sawdust, and lint; also for air and smoke
  • Flexible
  • Temperature Range: -60° to +275° F
  • Internal Abrasion Resistance: Very good
  • Color: Black with gray support or white with white support
  • Clamps: Use worm-drive and quick-release clamps (see pages 250-254)

Instead of an internal support, this TPR (thermoplastic rubber) hose has an external polypropylene support that provides a smooth interior for up to 40% better air flow. The support also acts as a wear strip. Material thickness is 0.026" for 1" to 4" ID hose; Hose compresses 33% of its length. Can be used indoors and out.Hose comes in your choice of colors: black, which has a gray support; and all white, which is made from a TPR material that's FDA CFR21 177.2600 compliant.

There are also a few others in the list, but watch the temp ratings.

Last edited by RocknSS04; 10-09-2009 at 09:39 PM.