Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Flexible tubing intake?

Old 10-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Default Flexible tubing intake?

I saw on the w body store they sell tubing to make your own intake. Would this be something to use for a homemade FWI? Would the tubing move at all?

Old 10-03-2009, 02:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

I would never use flexible tubing because of all the ridges on the inside the air has to pass over. It would be ok for a temporary intake but if it were me I would either get some tubing bent or get some straight pieces and use some couplers to put the bends in that you need.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:21 PM

The flexible tubing is used for those who want to put the filter in the fender as cheap as possible (since it generally much cheaper than even pvc pipe, especially with all the bends).

One downside is you'll have to find a way to secure the filter- to 'hang' it, because the flexible tubing will not support the full weight of a filter, plus it will swing and get banged around.

The other downside is as mentioned above- the inside texture is not good for flow (although some OEM applications use similar stuff).

Old 10-03-2009, 09:44 PM

Well it says the inside of the tubing is flat so maybe it will work. I would just secure the filter behind one of the fog lights. I would buy tubing but it cost alot to get bent and everything

Old 10-03-2009, 11:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If its smooth on the inside, and you can secure the filter well, I see no reason you couldn't use it!

Old 10-04-2009, 09:59 AM

would i be better off buying this. It includes all the clamps and that to hold it together.
http://intense-racing.com/Merchant2/...3800_Induction

or should i just buy the tube and do it myself

Old 10-04-2009, 01:38 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

I don't like the corregated tubing Intense uses. It's NOT smooth on the inside. To me that is important, and the reason I bought the K&N.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

i totally disagree with some of you. i been running the flexible for the last 3 years without any issue. the tube is better than my old thrasher box. before i went full size intercool i was getting couple degrees of knocks that's why i went with the tubing and hell yeah it's cheap, but it works that's why went this route. in the pic you can see how the filter sit with no supporting at all. no supporting is need, the tube itself will support the filter. mine sit same way like that the last 3 years. the cone is a 9" S & B. the wall inside is not as smooth as the pcv or other after market tubing, but it's way better than stocker for sure. if this is your DD i wouldn't recommend to have your filter sit that low like mine.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:48 PM

i totally disagree with some of you.
Do you disagree that tubing with ridges on the inside flows worse than tubing that is smooth on the inside?

no supporting is need, the tube itself will support the filter.
The hose clamps can loosen, especially if the filter is suspended midway in the fenderwell with nothing to sit on- so it just bounces around.

I had a buddy with an SRT4 have the filter fall out at the strip, and he ran it over. Thats not the first time I've heard of someone having their FWI filter fall off when the 1 hose clamp was the only thing holding it on. I've also seen the hose wear through from the filter bouncing around and the hose rubbing on a metal corener.

Not saying that it won't work or anything though- its been used on many cars. Personally for a daily driver, I prefer to put as much of the filter in the fenderwell as you can from the engine compartment, and then using that plastic roof flashing to seal off the backside of the filter from the engine bay. That gives you the pretty cool air from the fenderwell, while still reducing tubing length and number of bends.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 10-04-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Do you disagree that tubing with ridges on the inside flows worse than tubing that is smooth on the inside?

The hose clamps can loosen, especially if the filter is suspended midway in the fenderwell with nothing to sit on- so it just bounces around.

I had a buddy with an SRT4 have the filter fall out at the strip, and he ran it over. Thats not the first time I've heard of someone having their FWI filter fall off when the 1 hose clamp was the only thing holding it on. I've also seen the hose wear through from the filter bouncing around and the hose rubbing on a metal corener.

Not saying that it won't work or anything though- its been used on many cars. Personally for a daily driver, I prefer to put as much of the filter in the fenderwell as you can from the engine compartment, and then using that plastic roof flashing to seal off the backside of the filter from the engine bay. That gives you the pretty cool air from the fenderwell, while still reducing tubing length and number of bends.
pic don't do justice, but if you look inside the tube in person the wall inside does not look like the outside at all. also i have a short stainless steel tube that go in the filter itself and the other end go to the tube with 2 clamps. one to the filter and the other to the tube. total clamps for the setup are 3 clamps.

this is the stainless tube i use to connect the filter to the tube. it's the silver tube like in the pic.

http://intense-racing.com/Merchant2/...3800_Induction

btw where did i said tube with ridge on the inside flow better than smooth tube??? all i refer to is the tube is not as bad as some people saying they are.

Last edited by nemesis; 10-04-2009 at 07:06 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flexible tubing intake?