Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 07:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Exhaust questions

May be a dumb question, but here goes. My Challenger had the resonators at the very rear. Are they at the rear on my Monte? I looked underneath and wrote the part number down to check but its not showing up. Looks like what I see is a cat first, then what I thought was the muffler, and at rear 2 resonators. I want this car to sound a little more stout. Cant even hear a rumble when cruising, only when taking off. You all know more about these cars than me, any tips for me. If its the muffler in the middle, has anyone just removed it?

Old 03-21-2011, 07:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hey, nice sig...... The resonator on the 6th gens (like mine) is in the center after the cat leading into the y-pipe and dual mufflers...... My resontor is no more, got rid of it a while back...

Last edited by Crusader SS; 03-21-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:52 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

you need to get decet sounding mufflers and a CAI!

Old 03-21-2011, 08:00 PM

5 Year Member

well then I take it I have one resonator and the two mufflers are at the rear--correct? Let me say I ahev always had loud cars, mostly glass packs. Kinda like that but they do get alittle loud over the years. Any muffler suggestions? I looked on ebay and those CAI's are darn expensive.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:05 PM

i thought that you posted another thread about this and i answered. the muffler delete has been done. the mufflers are all the way at the back of the car right before the tips. theres 2 of them. the resonator is at about the door section of the car. theres one its about 3 maybe 3.5 feet long theres two bands that are around it holding it in place. you really cant miss it. i dont think removing the res is worth it since the sound increase is minimal. on your last thread i posted a video and if you go onto ls1tech in the ls4 section theres several exhaust threads. just do a search youll find them. you can also do a hogan downpipe with or without a cat. i think that would be more worth while in pumping up the sound than the cold air would be. plus the power gain would be better than the cai.
it appears that you were posting same time as me.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014

Originally Posted by 77gp
well then I take it I have one resonator and the two mufflers are at the rear--correct? Let me say I ahev always had loud cars, mostly glass packs. Kinda like that but they do get alittle loud over the years. Any muffler suggestions? I looked on ebay and those CAI's are darn expensive.
I run a u-bend delete into a Magnaflow cat, resonator delete into Magnaflow mufflers... It's not too loud, but plenty loud enough under load with the peddal mashed... Forgot to mention the Wizaired CAI is also kind of loud at WOT... But I love it!!!... The resonator delete will increase the exaust sound (drone) in the passenger compartment, however it is tolerable, to each his own... Thanks,

Last edited by Crusader SS; 03-21-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:18 PM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
i thought that you posted another thread about this and i answered. the muffler delete has been done. the mufflers are all the way at the back of the car right before the tips. theres 2 of them. the resonator is at about the door section of the car. theres one its about 3 maybe 3.5 feet long theres two bands that are around it holding it in place. you really cant miss it. i dont think removing the res is worth it since the sound increase is minimal. on your last thread i posted a video and if you go onto ls1tech in the ls4 section theres several exhaust threads. just do a search youll find them. you can also do a hogan downpipe with or without a cat. i think that would be more worth while in pumping up the sound than the cold air would be. plus the power gain would be better than the cai.
it appears that you were posting same time as me.
Yes you did answer me and I watched the vids. I just wanted more ideas and to know exactly what pieces were what. I knew people had sone more than jsut delete the mufflers. Just looking for some ideas. Thanks