Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Questions about SLP Cat-Back Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 04:02 AM
Default Questions about SLP Cat-Back Exhaust

I was thinking about geting a SLP Cat-back exhaust and keeping my flowmaster 40s on the end. I wont be using the resenator either so would it just be easier to go to a muffler shop and get a 3" exhaust built by them or will the SLP exhast perform better? And also how big is Tha SLP exhaust 2.5 or 3 inch? Im leaning on just going to the exhaust shop and just having them repace my exhaust with 3" I already have a resenator delete and a u-bend delete and im thinking about getting rid of the cat. Long paragraph I know but let me know....thanks

PS... will getting rid of the cat mess with my O2 sensor and set off the check engine light?

Old 10-08-2009, 04:20 AM

The SLP powerflow exhaust system for the Monte Carlo is made of 304 Stainless Steel and is 2.5 inches in diameter, which is enough for a N/A car, or a S/C setup of up to 400HP. The only thing I'm not sure of is, I think the SLP cat back is a straight pipe design, which will cause a loss in low end torque, but cause you to gain high end RPM power/torque, which is why N/A cars should avoid this.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:50 AM

What would be the best exhaust setup for a monte like mine with no resenator and a downpipe (putting on a zzp downpipe in about a week) and the flowmaster 40s at the end?

Old 10-08-2009, 07:22 AM

i would just go to a muffler shop and have them fab up a 2.5" system (which is plenty big) for you wether it's stainless or mild steel. I would keep your cat for sure or else you'll throw codes, besides even a stock cat isn't that much restriction. should not be hard for them at all to fab up something that goes from one pipe and Y's into your two flowmasters. they would probably be done in 1-2 hrs.

then again, how big is the pipe in the stock exhaust system? i'm thinking it's 2.25" but if it's already 2.5" just have them weld in a pipe in place of the resonator and you're done. otherwise have them replace everything with 2.5". all that is much cheaper than the slp system

Old 04-30-2010, 11:12 PM

what does strait pipe design mean??? im pretty sure theres no resonator. but it bends just like a normal one does and y's off in the back.

i love the way it sounds but it sucks to adjust or add somthing like a resonator cause its 304 stainless and messes it all up when they weld or cut a part of it.

i was gonna get the magnaflow one but cheaped out on a hundred bucks, plus i liked that the slp was 304 and like the way it sounds.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:14 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I got rid of my cat, sounds way better. If your wprried about throwing codes theres always this, but i can live with the CEL.
https://www.zzperformance.com/grand_...=967&catid=107

Old 05-01-2010, 03:20 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have the SLP catback with the 2.5 ZZP downpipe with the high flow cat. I did have ZZP program out the CEL code. Yes, they are straight pipes - no resonator. 2.5 inch and I think 3" tips.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:44 AM

I too am leaning towards the SLP exhasut system... they offer the "Powerflo" and the "Loudmouth" versions, do they not?? What are your differences between the two??
My only issue is with the pictures i've seen of the Loudmouth, I think the exhaust tips are too big. I want something that resembles the size and look of my current stock setup... I just want the tips to come out a little further.

I also am showing great interest in purchasing SLP's headers as well. Keep with SLP products... anyone have any issues with SLP's headers? I did read how much of a pain that headers can be to install on 3800s... Kind of scary...

Old 05-04-2010, 08:00 AM

So far as I've seen, for the 2000-2007 Monte Carlo, SLP only offers one exhaust kit, and that is the SLP Powerflo which comes with stainless steel pipes, and 3 inch tips. The LoudMouth kit was only available for Camaro and Firebird V6's, not the Monte Carlo.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:37 PM

Correct... I see on 3800performance the SLP exhaust... But as I stated the tips are 3.5" and that just looks a bit TOO big... especially the way the picture looks, the rear fascia doesn't accomodate them too well...

If you get a set of headers (SLP, Pacesetter, etc.) would it still be necessary to get a downpipe?

Last edited by #2726; 05-04-2010 at 10:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Questions about SLP Cat-Back Exhaust