Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Default exhaust questions

i have an 05 LS and im looking to upgrade the stock muffler to a better deep sound.well any sound for that matter, its to quite.

any ideas on which would be best for me. magnaflow?

also what are the diameters of the in and out i would need to know before i purchase one

Old 04-03-2010, 12:54 PM

any ideas on which would be best for me. magnaflow?
No one can tell you that- everybody is going to have a different opinion on which muffler sounds best- and honestly, its all up to the ear. I've seen people like the volume and grittiness of straight piped exhaust, and I've seen people who just like a muffler like stock, but a little louder and deeper.

Your best bet is to visit youtube and watch some videos of other montes to see what sound you like the best.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My personal opinion is with Magnaflows on V6's...IMO Magnaflows have the best tone, and least raspy sound on a V6. But like Bumpin said, its all up to you, and what you think sounds good.

I think the OEM pipe is 2.25 inch.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:57 PM

My personal opinion is with Magnaflows on V6's...IMO Magnaflows have the best tone, and least raspy sound on a V6.
Depends a lot on the engine too- I have a single magnaflow on my monte, and I hate it. Its one of the quieter aftermarket mufflers, and that's why I bought it- but at part throttle, it sounds worse than other 3800's.

So that's what I mean by saying everybody will have different taste. Also- believe it or not, but some people love the rasp, I knew a guy with a straight piped 3800 in college, and a lot of the local car club guys liked it.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:20 PM

there is also flowmaster borola as well there is alot of monte guys who have different setup's on there monte's. i have the 3500 as well like mamonte i dont really like some magnaflow model mufflers kind of sounding like a fart can like what is popular on hondas. what i am talking about there is different levels of mufflers from different manafacurers. it depends on what you like. i do agree go to youtube to find out what type you like the best

Old 04-03-2010, 07:37 PM

there is different levels of mufflers from different manafacurers.
Good point- even looking at flowmaster, they have like 14 different muffler choices (some of the same series, but with different #'s of chambers).

Old 04-03-2010, 10:27 PM

i would hit up youtube to find the sound you like best. this is what i did when i chose my magnaflows and i'm very satisfied.

i would stick with the OEM pipe diameter. that will be plenty big for your application.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:40 AM

I had the same problem with my 04, as most, with the stock exhaust, you could'nt even tell the car was running. I took it to a muffler shop, installed a different muffler set-up to see if I could get some sound, any sound from the Monte. Did'nt like that sound much better. After doing some seaching, I decided it would either be Corsa or Borla. Both are expensive, and both give a good sound, IMO. I was leaning Borla, but for reasons to long to explain I ended up with Corsa. The Corsa exhaust gave the Monte a good deep sound and a great look but I soon found a problem with my future plans. I had always intended to install the RAZZI body kit on my Monte. Unfortunately, Corsa is very proud of their system and they make their exhaust system hang lower than a normal system so you can see it better. So after I installed the RAZZI kit on my car I had to scrap the Corsa system and go with Borla (which by the way was my first choice). So if you plan to install a body kit in the future, think ahead. If you already have the High Sport kit, or plan on installing the High Sport kit, Corsa will work. Like I said, I think both give good sound,(IMO), both are stainless steel, but if you are thinking RAZZI or another body kit where the exhaust go through the rear portion of the body kit, do a little research. I think most, SLP, GM parts direct, Borla and some others are pretty much set up to match factory. But also do not be surprised that as with any exhaust some tweeking on the fit will be needed to align the exhaust you choose.