Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

ECM module replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 01:50 PM
Thumbs down ECM module replacement

I have a 2002 Chevy Monte Carlo LS. It has 104395 original miles on it. My door remote/clicker hasn't been working for a couple years now. And NO it's not the device or needing a new battery. Its something electrical on the car. If I lock car I use key to open as we did in past. When doing this and upon opening the door my passive dealer installed alarm goes off and I have to immediately start engine to silence alarm. On another note I think this problem is tied in with fact I need a new ecm module. I've got the new part and supposedly was programmed per my VIN # which I put on the order. Got the part and now my mechanic says its not working. They in turn are going to call a locksmith to come program/install it. Does that sound correct or totally wrong way?

Old 09-04-2020, 02:48 PM

Sounds like the wrong part was installed/ordered. The ECM is short for Engine Control Module. So it controls the engine and trans (also called PCM "powetrain control module").

the BCM or body control module would control the problems you listed and would have to be programmed once installed to account for options installed in car.

Last edited by Steelbizkit; 09-04-2020 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-04-2020, 04:17 PM

When I ordered it from FS1 I gave them my cars VIN number per their request so that they could pre program...but sounds like maybe they ignored that part

Old 09-05-2020, 09:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If it is the PCM, the car needs to go through a PCM Security Relearn. Simple process, you can do it yourself. Detailed steps are in the FWD Tech info section. It involves trying to start the car, leave the key in the on position about 10 minutes (until the security notice quits displaying/popping up), attempt to start and repeat about 3 times. Never take the key out.

As for the key and the alarm, since it's not factory, I am not going to make a guess on that. If the keyless entry you are having trouble with is the factory keyless entry, there is a receiver module under the dash (trim piece closest to the windshield). It interacts with the BCM (Body Control Module). The PCM has nothing to do with the keyless entry system.