Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Key Fob Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Key Fob Issue

My main key fob is no longer working despite a new battery. I dug out another fob and the Lock/Unlock function works using this one.

But I've always had to use a specific key fob in order to use the alarm system and remote start.....I'm guessing the alarm and remote start are aftermarket. I have four fobs, I think two are OEM and the other two (which don't match) are aftermarket.

I wasn't working for almost all of last year so I wasn't driving it daily. I think that's when the problems started.

I tried a resynchronization process I found online but that didn't work.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. I know I haven't given a lot of details but I can if I know what to look for. Thanks!

Last edited by BethinIN; 02-23-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:41 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

What happen that now the remote start doesn't work? I noticed you said you haven't been driving it for the past year...

I'm guessing the battery was dead? after sitting that long? This is what I think may have possibly happened... By chance... does the non oem key fobs have a brand name on them?

I know that there are some model/brand of alarm systems, Need to have the alarm system reset.... Once the battery dies or if the battery is replaced... as.. via the PCM doesn't remember the settings..Thus it has to be reset...
Without knowing what Brand of aftermarket alarm or the model # its not possible for me to tell you the sequence to reset it....

As long as you can start and drive the vehicle...
Take it to a place that installs aftermarket alarms ... I'm sure they can figure out what type you have as well as get it back up and working for you. Just be sure to take both aftermarket key fobs with you.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member

Oh I was still driving it, just once a week; the car battery is fine.

It starts fine. Key unlocks the door fine. Just no alarm or remote start function.

Is there a way to find the brand name? I was just trying to avoid paying someone to reset it, lol.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:10 PM

you can open the bottom of the dash panel and find the alarm "brain" on it will be brand and model numbers. then do a google search for reset proceedure and follow it. hope this helps.

the brain will be a small black plastic box about the size of a couple packs of cigs.