Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

DIY Ram air intake (WIP)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Seriously, the bashing needs to stop.
Yeah, you said it perfectly. There is no reason for it. This website is supposed to be friendly and helpful, not for putting people down for what they do. You know, when people say these ignorant things, its not proving a point or sounding superior, its just sounding like an *** who gets off on putting others down. You said it, it needs to stop!!

Old 05-05-2010, 10:05 AM

I think it needs to be longer. Check out the hood i was gonna buy.

i still want it but i dont belive they dont make it anymore

Old 05-05-2010, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by gothkid
I think it needs to be longer. Check out the hood i was gonna buy.

i still want it but i dont belive they dont make it anymore
i actualy really wanted to make one like that, but considering this was my first time using fiberglass or bondo that it would be better to start off small

Old 05-05-2010, 04:04 PM

Ehhh, i dont know, it looks like it might belong on a dodge. lol Might make your car look like its got a big nose. IDK though, it might look bad ***. I wonder if anyone can make a pic from photoshop to see what that woudl look like *hint hint*
One thing for sure, it would be a first for me if you like the way it looks, go for it. its your car. But like i said it might look really good.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:25 PM

anyways i sanded it down and slapped ALOT of silicone onto it to help hold it. I took my time gettin up to speed so that if it started to fail i would be able to slow down before it ripped off
Honestly, I'd still consider popping some rivets in it, or a handful of small sheet metal screws. Silicone is more of a sealer, it was never really designed to be a structural adhesive. The bad thing is you can't really predict what would happen with a strong headwind- or after a couple months once it hardens, or with temperature variations, and you get a lot of flexing from opening and closing the hood- you know?

oh and sanding down bondo sucks... its gonna eb afew days till its ready for paint
Your best bet is really to get one of those bondo graters (looks like a cheese grater)- once the stuff semi-sets (ie is mostly hard, but not rock hard)- you use it to grate down about 80% of the bondo you don't need.

Combine that with a fiberglass shape that is smoother, and virtually identical to your final shape- and you won't have to put hardly any bondo on.

That just comes with time and experience. If you keep going, you'll get to the point where the only reason for the bondo is to smooth out the grit from your fiberglass material (and to smooth steps like your scoop to the hood).

Just an FYI- they do make lighter weight body fillers that they sell at body shop supply places that are easier to sand than the regular parts store bondo- but they aren't good for doing thick fills, they're more for doing minor surface smoothing (stuff that's too rough for a thick coat of primer-surfacer to take up).

Old 05-06-2010, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Honestly, I'd still consider popping some rivets in it, or a handful of small sheet metal screws. Silicone is more of a sealer, it was never really designed to be a structural adhesive. The bad thing is you can't really predict what would happen with a strong headwind- or after a couple months once it hardens, or with temperature variations, and you get a lot of flexing from opening and closing the hood- you know?

Your best bet is really to get one of those bondo graters (looks like a cheese grater)- once the stuff semi-sets (ie is mostly hard, but not rock hard)- you use it to grate down about 80% of the bondo you don't need.

Combine that with a fiberglass shape that is smoother, and virtually identical to your final shape- and you won't have to put hardly any bondo on.

That just comes with time and experience. If you keep going, you'll get to the point where the only reason for the bondo is to smooth out the grit from your fiberglass material (and to smooth steps like your scoop to the hood).

Just an FYI- they do make lighter weight body fillers that they sell at body shop supply places that are easier to sand than the regular parts store bondo- but they aren't good for doing thick fills, they're more for doing minor surface smoothing (stuff that's too rough for a thick coat of primer-surfacer to take up).
well like i said, i do plan on making a new one so the silicone wont have to hold for more than a few weeks, and when i remake it I'm definitely gonna have it riveted. Taking that first test drive really scared me lol. Next time i plan on using a Styrofoam mock up, so that its easier to get it flush with the hood, and hopefully it'll have a smoother shape. Really this one was just an experiment to see if i could even do it and I'm quite proud of myself.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

We look forward to the completely finished project then

Old 05-07-2010, 07:43 PM

Yeah, i wanna know though (from sombody that knows for sure) will that type of hood create any (any at all, even a half) PSI if it is sealed really good. I know you would have to be going pretty fast but can that make any kind of boost??