Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

cold air intake question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 01:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default cold air intake question

well i got a cutom cold air intake that i made that hooks up to the stock air box. i got a high flow filter in the box and its been pretty cold outside. i checked my oil and decided to feel the intake manifold and it was ice *uckin cold, it stays that cold while the car is running can this be harmful to the motor?

Old 01-05-2010, 04:34 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I honestly don't know a for sure answer to your question. However, I don't think that would be harmful to your engine at all. Has your engine been running for a while before you checked it?

But I would not think the intake being cold harmed anything. If anything, your car should run stronger when its colder because cold air is more dense then hot air, which is why we all make such efforts to get CAI's etc.

Now if your temp gauge is not coming up to normal operating temp like it should, that is a problem. I'm pretty sure that your intake would get slightly warmed up form the heat of the engine, even on cold days if your car was coming up to normal operating temp. Have you kept an eye on your temp gauge? Is it coming up to normal temps? If not, you may need a new thermostat.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:37 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

If the air is cold, that means it's doing it's job. Plus, in most of hte country, it is cold outside right now. Wait until summer and see!

The object of a CAI is to make air cooler, as Ma Monte just said, cold air is more dense. The more air you can pack into a cylinder, the better, and thus more combustion, and more power. I'd think cold air going into your engine would mean the CAI is working and I woudln't worry a lot about it. Go back inside where it is warm.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:08 PM

i checked my oil and decided to feel the intake manifold and it was ice *uckin cold, it stays that cold while the car is running can this be harmful to the motor?
Your CAI has nothing to do with the manifold being cold. Your stock airbox drew air from a cold source also- so the actual intake air temperature between a stock airbox and a CAI should be practically nothing.

They are called CAI's in comparison to a HAI- like a cone filter just stuck on the throttle body.