Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Cold Air Intake Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Cold Air Intake Anyone?

Hey MC family. Been struggling with this Short Ram and I'm at wits end with it; does anyone know where I could get a Wizaired Cold Air Intake?

I believe I'm too late to get anything intake related from ZZP...right?

Old 12-19-2020, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Thrush_Glasspack
Hey MC family. Been struggling with this Short Ram and I'm at wits end with it
What's going on with it? Besides a little power loss from sucking hot air, there shouldn't be any notable issues.

I believe I'm too late to get anything intake related from ZZP...right?
Too late for what? They still carry a CAI box that appears to be in stock. Probably won't drop into a 3400, but given the car is the same, maybe it could be made to work with some adapters / minor modification?

Old 12-20-2020, 04:30 AM
5 Year Member

Well Bumpin, I'm not sure what modifications I'd have to make. But I do know the throttle body is bigger on the 3800, so I don't want to be in over my head either. I also thought about buying the K&N type intakes, but going through the threads here many say that it leaves much to be desired.

My issue with my Short Ram is the overheating; I do have a heat shield protecting it, but the rpms climb CRAZY HIGH at traffick light stops.....it worries the HELL out of me. My throttle body is clean and I still get stalling as well so I'm really stuck on what I should do. I'm really thinking about re-installing my stock airbox and learn how to modify it to be a little more effective from a thread that I saw here.

Old 12-20-2020, 07:28 AM

You have the 3400, correct? Do you have a 3800 TB? You must have a leak between the MAF and TB if youre getting crazy idle..

What I would do is buy some 3-4" piping, measure the exact size of TB and MAF, and buy couplers accordingly. Work it into the fender or behind the headlight down into the bumper.

A simple intake shouldnt cause erratic RPM, theres gotta be an issue that needs resolving. The intake is just making it apparent.

Just a quick thing I thought of, could there be a leak at the IAT sensor?

Last edited by wht02monte; 12-20-2020 at 07:30 AM.
Old 12-20-2020, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Thrush_Glasspack
Well Bumpin, I'm not sure what modifications I'd have to make. But I do know the throttle body is bigger on the 3800, so I don't want to be in over my head either.
If its just a diameter issue, that's an easy fix. They make silicone adapters in just about any size you could ever need. I dunno anything about the 3400s though, they may have an external MAF like my old 3100 did that could have to be spliced in.

My issue with my Short Ram is the overheating; I do have a heat shield protecting it, but the rpms climb CRAZY HIGH at traffick light stops.....it worries the HELL out of me. My throttle body is clean and I still get stalling as well so I'm really stuck on what I should do. I'm really thinking about re-installing my stock airbox and learn how to modify it to be a little more effective from a thread that I saw here.
What is overheating? The engine coolant? IATs will of course be high with any short ram, but if the engine is overheating, revving on its own, and stalling, then something is majorly wrong with the short ram (assuming it was ok before the install).

That's 100% not normal and you shouldn't drive it until you get that fixed. Sounds like you could have a vacuum leak and/or something is screwy with the MAF airflow as a result of the changes.

Old 12-20-2020, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member

I still have the oem intake tube installed, as this HAI only came with a cheap coupler (which I did not use), intake piping, and a cone filter. I started to order a metal intake tube with the holes already fabricated....but now I'm not so sure.

Old 12-20-2020, 02:13 PM

IMO I wouldnt order any other modifications for this short ram setup until you can figure out what went so wrong.

Personally, I'd start by putting it back to stock first. Any mod causing all the issues you're talking about is certainly hurting performance also. Thatll make sure you don't damage anything else in the meantime while you try to figure out what the problem is.

Old 12-21-2020, 04:44 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
IMO I wouldnt order any other modifications for this short ram setup until you can figure out what went so wrong.

Personally, I'd start by putting it back to stock first. Any mod causing all the issues you're talking about is certainly hurting performance also. Thatll make sure you don't damage anything else in the meantime while you try to figure out what the problem is.
Is it possible that it could be the EGR valve?

Old 12-21-2020, 08:21 AM

Its possible. A leak on the intake side of the EGR would cause symptoms like a vacuum leak anywhere else post MAF, taking in unmetered air.

Old 12-27-2020, 04:04 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Its possible. A leak on the intake side of the EGR would cause symptoms like a vacuum leak anywhere else post MAF, taking in unmetered air.
Merry X Mas MC Family; I was hit with a DOUBLE WHAMMY under the hood. EGR was bad, and my pcv U tube collapsed. Gonna run out and get them both later today to get the MC back on the road.