Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Anybody get tickets for being too loud?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Default Anybody get tickets for being too loud?

Howdy, I've got a 2006 Monte SS and I'm planning on deleting the mufflers. It's got a magnaflow catback on it now, and it's just too quiet. After discovering this I took the muffler pieces off so the exhaust dumped right behind the rear axle, after the y split, just to see how it sounds.

It sounded amazing. It's a bit abrasive at low RPMs, but I enjoy it. The one thing I'm worried about is noise tickets. I drove without mufflers for about and week, and no cops looked twice at me, but I put them back on fairly soon after that.

Does anyone have any experience driving around without mufflers on their v8 and what sorts of things did local law enforcement have to say? I live in Ohio, really close to Michigan, and the laws aren't too bad here. I've had no front license plate for a year now and it hasn't come up.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:36 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It all really depends on your location. Around here they used to be really strict on it but now they don't really care anymore.

Usually if you did get a ticket it would be a fix it ticket and you just take pics or proof and take them to court with you.

Again it all depends on the cops in your area, if you were fine before id keep doing it until you get any trouble and if you do get in trouble or pulled over just be nice and honest, tell the officer that you liked the sound and didn't know it was illegal. If you're polite to officers when you weren't doing something wreckless they'll be the same way back.

I always thought the cops in ohio cared more about tint than anything but idk, haven't been there in 10 years lol

Old 08-06-2012, 09:41 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I ran open headers on my GTO & was told to take it home if u want it to be louder but still legal get a set of dynomax race bullet mufflers, there pretty much a straight threw muffler

Old 08-06-2012, 09:41 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It all depends on the officer who pulls you over. My sons car was broke up front and was really loud. When he got stopped he didn't even get a ticket. I thought for sure with him being a teenager the cop would have giving him a fix it ticket but he just told him to get it fixed.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:47 AM

I agree with what everyone else is saying, depends on who the cops are location stuff like that. In the town I work in almost every truck is straight piped and loud. Yet in the same town none of us have gotten tickets for loudness, while one of my buddies got a ticket for his fart can exhaust being too loud on his Cavalier and another friend got a ticket for her exhaust because there was a huge rust hole in it that made it loud.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by ReimTime
Howdy, I've got a 2006 Monte SS and I'm planning on deleting the mufflers. It's got a magnaflow catback on it now, and it's just too quiet. After discovering this I took the muffler pieces off so the exhaust dumped right behind the rear axle, after the y split, just to see how it sounds.

It sounded amazing. It's a bit abrasive at low RPMs, but I enjoy it. The one thing I'm worried about is noise tickets. I drove without mufflers for about and week, and no cops looked twice at me, but I put them back on fairly soon after that.

Does anyone have any experience driving around without mufflers on their v8 and what sorts of things did local law enforcement have to say? I live in Ohio, really close to Michigan, and the laws aren't too bad here. I've had no front license plate for a year now and it hasn't come up.
i run that exact same setup and have never had a problem with being pulled over for the car being too loud, and the exhaust has been that way for at least 3 years. its really not that loud once theres some more piping and the magnaflow tips are on it. adding mufflers to it would defeat the purpose of removing the mufflers and the magnaflow resonator is more than enough. remember the original slp loudmouth exhaust for the ls1 fbodies is pretty much what youre going to be running except youre going to be running 2.5" as opposed to 3" and youre using the magnaflow resonator instead of the slp. i wouldnt worry about the noise its by no means quiet or discreet, but its not crazy loud and out of control either.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:32 PM

Thanks for the replies. Obviously it depends on the cops in the area. A friend of a friend has been pulled over twice in the town I live in for exhaust noise, but he also has a tricked out ride with really dark tint and he's kind of a d-bag. Even so, he's never actually gotten a ticket for it. On the other hand the cop actually dragged his keys down his tint so he had to take if off.

We'll see how it goes. Seems like the only people that are getting pulled over for exhaust noise are the ones with their pipes dragging and a crappy car. From the back my setup will still look like I have mufflers, so we'll see how it goes!

Old 08-06-2012, 05:45 PM

Only ticket I got was for playing music too loud. it was 11 pm and it was cranked all the way up.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have gotten a ticket for loud exhaust, and my Monte isn't a v8 and it looked stock at the time.

It was 4 years ago and the cop was just looking to pull over someone (hiding in the bushes, but I saw him). He pulled me over and checked my window tint (which is legal), and asked me a LOT of questions and then he finally said that he pulled me over because my exhaust was too loud and smelled really bad. He gave me a fixit ticket and that was all I received (I wasn't speeding).

I paid the ticket and looked at it as rent because I have no cat or res, just two flowmaster muffs out the back, and my Monte is pretty loud. He was the only cop that I've had a problem with, so it's obviously dependant on the cop. I haven't had any problems with police for noise since that ticket.