Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

02 monte exhaust opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 03:37 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

wow!thats cool how you can keep up with an l67 powered car!how much money in all have you put into it?

Old 07-28-2011, 03:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 02montecSS
wow!thats cool how you can keep up with an l67 powered car!how much money in all have you put into it?
LOL, probably around $2k.

When I put another $2k I'll be beating that damn v8 in my father's 06 SS

Old 07-29-2011, 12:37 AM

What about the u-bend? I want to do all three (someday).

Old 07-29-2011, 12:39 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

ive already put about 1K but that wasnt invested into performace. With the 1k, i was able to put in my audio system, get the pace car wheels, bought the OEM pace car spoiler, and the ground effects kit, the HIDs, and my cheap-O intake from ebay.lol

i got all the pace car body parts, just never got around to getting them put on because im really picky on the quality of the paint and at the moment i dont have quality money for the paint.I lost interest on the visual of the car and im leaning more to the performance of the car. Im tired of my brothers ls1 camaro making me look super stupid lol. i know i will never have the money to make it keep up with the camaro but atleast to close in the gap a bit lol

Once, i tried making a heat shield box for my intake, but of course, i failed. Im not good with constructing my own stuff so im really considering taking mine out atleast until summer's over. My throttle response becomes horrible once the car is hot

So unless someone wants the give me a some-what of a step by step on how to make a neat lil box its going out...
i gues it also has alot to do with the fact that i dont know where to get most of this stuff or materials that i can use...i need a master plan and a blue print -_____- lol

Old 07-29-2011, 07:52 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm in the same boat as Chibi. Never dyno-ed, never taken to a track. I hope to some time soon take it to a 1/4 mile and just see what she does. I've never driven a 3800 S/C nor been next to one on the road to compare with. I'm willing to bet, my Monte can hold it's own pretty good to a stock 3800 S/C.

Not counting the minor suspension stuff I've down (new trailing arms, all poly bushings on the front sway bar), I think I have a little less into my Monte for drivetrain performance mods then Chibi.
A couple of reasons I know of is because I don't have a CAI, I believe Chibi bought all his stuff new AND he did it long before me (some of the parts might have cost more when he did his build). Some of my parts were new, like my ZZP downpipe and the PLOG, some were used (like the ER Rockers and the HV3), some were junk yard pulls (L67 coils), others were junk yard pulls that I modded (the LIM and the L67 Throttle Body). And then I got a deal from a shop that deleted my resenator.

Of course, as Chibi knows, this is NOT counting my one trip to the ER for a metal shard in the eye (I was stupid, grinding metal with a Dremel and NOT using safetly glasses/googles). Chibi is sure to insert a laugh on that one. But I was lucky and learned a valuable lesson with no lingering side effects.

I think I have around or a little over $1000 into drive train mods on my car. But again, Chibi and I don't have exact modded cars. But if you are looking to do anything similiar to what were did, setting aside $1500-$2000 would be your best bet. If you aren't in a hurry, ZZP sometimes throws deals on Black Friday worth watching for. If you don't mind used stuff, watching the classifieds on forums for 3800 powered cars for people demodding their cars can help (ClubGP.com seems to be a hot spot for that).

@nichols2k - If you get a ZZP Downpipe with high flow cat, it comes with the U-bend delete.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:09 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My $2k is strictly performance. I don't even want to get into the amount of money is spent all over the car already on my second transmission...

Regarding the U-Bend comment, if you got headers or a zzp downpipe the u-bend would be gone.

*edit*

I had this window up for quite some time before replying. Jason nailed it all. Yes I did purchase all of my stuff new and full priced. I didn't want to risk the used market for my modifications since my engine itself was already old and high mileage.

Also metal in the eye?

Last edited by ChibiBlackSheep; 07-29-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:22 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I had this window up for quite some time before replying. Jason nailed it all. Yes I did purchase all of my stuff new and full priced. I didn't want to risk the used market for my modifications since my engine itself was already old and high mileage.

Also metal in the eye?
Glad I got things pretty right on the cost differences between you and I

And yuck it up, I knew you would about the metal comment. That's what I get for trying to turn an L67 throttle body into something similiar (but not identical) to a Stage 2 ZZP throttle body, and not wearing safety glasses. A problem I did not repeat when port-matching my LIM.