Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   02 monte exhaust opinions (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/02-monte-exhaust-opinions-29832/)

02montecSS 07-27-2011 01:07 AM

02 monte exhaust opinions

ok you guys, i finally decided to end up keeping the monte, and now looking into putting some mufflers, well changing them. Ive never really liked to have the rear end of the car so much louder than the front end of the car soooo what mufflers what be good to just have better performance, and just a bit deeper in sound

the series or model numbers of the mufflers would be helpful, thank you guys!

ChibiBlackSheep 07-27-2011 06:11 AM

Mufflers don't give you any performance. The stock ones are probably your best bet if you want to keep the car quiet.

02montecSS 07-27-2011 05:30 PM

so only a whole exhaust system will increase performance?

ChibiBlackSheep 07-28-2011 06:19 AM

Replacing the parts that have serious restrictions will give better performance. The Cat-back on these cars have no restrictions until you are making good power.

The front exhaust manifold and the downpipe are the 2 restrictions.

The_Maniac 07-28-2011 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 346277)
Replacing the parts that have serious restrictions will give better performance. The Cat-back on these cars have no restrictions until you are making good power.

The front exhaust manifold and the downpipe are the 2 restrictions.

What he said. :thumbsup:

02montecSS 07-28-2011 01:19 PM

so getting a front exhaust manifold, and a downpipe will give me way better exhaust, thus allowing for other supporting mods to increase performance..?

how much do front exhaust manifolds run for?
if i was to ever buy a different exhaust manifold and then ever do a top swap, would i be able to keep using it, or would i need to get an l67 one?

ChibiBlackSheep 07-28-2011 01:24 PM

Your options are a full set of headers, that replaces everything to the cat-back.

A ZZP Front Powerlog + ZZP Downpipe. That takes both restrictions away for a better flowing exhaust.

Or finding a ported front manifold, but the shape of these don't lend themselves well to porting.

zzperformance.com check under grand prix, then exhaust.

If you are top-swapping I highly recommend Headers to start. Since the higher compression will need more supporting modifications to run your engine KR free.

The_Maniac 07-28-2011 01:29 PM

Front manifold header you are looking for is made only by ZZP and it's called a Power Log. They only offer stainless steel now:
ZZ Performance

Now, fo a N/A car, you would be best going with a 2.5" ZZP downpipe. But for something like a top swap or turbo, you would want a 3". Here's info from my downpipe swap:
'04 Monte Carlo SS - ZZP Downpipe

And I've now got a bunch of performance mods on my Monte and the down pipe and PLOG are working great with everything. Check my site for for all the mods:
2004 Chevy Monte Carlo SS

Chibi and I have similiar (but not identical) modded cars. I admit, I modeled what I did after his car. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

02montecSS 07-28-2011 03:18 PM

soo now im wondering, have either you or chibi got a dyno?after all those mods, how much hp and torque are you outputting compared to stock?

ChibiBlackSheep 07-28-2011 03:32 PM

I have no dyno'd my car. I have a custom tune from driving around with a friend who had a laptop plugged into my car though.

I have 0 numbers for you, but I can tell you that my sister owns an Impala SS with the Supercharged 3800 and I can keep up with her no problems, and my take-off is better than hers thanks to my shift points.

Before I turbo my car, I am going to try to take it to a 1/4 mile track to get a base time, for comparison.

Dynos are just too expensive to find out my numbers. Not worth it to me unless I was using them to also get a tune.