Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Opinions on 3.4L Exhaust needed!

Old 01-07-2010, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Opinions on 3.4L Exhaust needed!

Hey guys,
I have a 2003 Monte Carlo LS 3.4 thats all stock, well it has window tint and a kicken' stereo. But I took it into one of the shops in the city and got exhaust work priced out and figured out my options and I have decided on this but I want your opinions.
U-Bend Delete
Resonator Delete
Dynomax Ultraflow Muffler
and a chrome tip and the price is 430$ + tax
or I can get that same setup but with a Roush Thrush muffler for 360$ + tax.
How will that sound on the car? HP gain? MPG gain? and is the price decent or not? I am in Canada and I am going to price out a few other shops yet too but the one nice thing about this shop is that they will swap mufflers until you find the sound you like. So if I try the roush muffler and don't like the sound they will throw on the Dynomax one and I
can try all the different options..
But all that being said the price seems a bit steep, so let me know your opinion and how you think it will sound and what my gains will be in HP/MPG.
Thanks alot!

Old 01-07-2010, 10:40 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

Monte Carlo 3.4L Dual exhaust????

check this thread out for some info!!!

Old 01-07-2010, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member

already looked at that thread. Hoping to find someone with close to the same setup. Or anybody with knowledge about the setup. Thanks for the link tho!

Old 01-08-2010, 09:01 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would keep the resonator. It really effects the interior drone and would sound awful at highway speed.

Definitely get rid of the U-Bend it's just a stupid restriction. Mufflers is all personal preference.

You won't be seeing any HP/MPG Gains from this, you'll just get a nice sound change.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:17 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I agree with Chibiblacksheep. Don't delete the resonator. I changed my resonator to a smaller Magnaflow resonator, which gave my exhaust more tone, and better sound. But getting rid of it completely will just make it to loud for highway driving, and it will sound really raspy. Look into a smaller resonator...

Also, since your changing out the exhaust, why not go to dual? I think it looks better on a Monte.

The prices you were quoted seem pretty fair to me, especially if that is in Canadian dollars.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:38 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

The 3.4 also sounds better than my/our 3800's, so you're in good shape for sound. The mufflers are all a matter of preference. The shop you just quoted sounds like a good deal and they sound very customer friendly, so I'd give them my business. Don't buy a catback system, because you'll pay more money than that and have to have it installed still or have to go through the hassle of installing it yourself... the route your going is the one I would take!

Old 01-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Monte Of The Month - April 2010 & Sep

I diagree Cowboy, unless you know nothing about cars, I would rather get a cat back.

Couple of reasons, what material of the exhaust is the shop putting in? Most likely it will be of a cheaper material and being from Canada, prone to rust out and will have to be replaced sooner. Also, going with a Cat back the bends are all mandrel bent, so less restrictive. most shops don't have a pipe bender and very few can do mandrel bending.

For about the same cost, or maybe a little more (don;t know what the current exchange rate is) you can get a really nice Cat back, and it isn;t hard to install. Just a couple bolts. I reccomend GMPP or SLP for best back for your buck.

EDIT: also what size exhaust are they putting in? If you go with a larger size, you will need to address you intake, (perhaps add a CAI) or it will feel as if you are loosing power.

Last edited by Donutboy97; 01-08-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:16 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well we've got 3 shops here in town who've got the machine to bend the pipes, and the cheapest cat back I've seen is like $450, less money than they want to install an entire exhaust system with materials. I spent $550 or so for a dynomax and it costed me $125 to have it installed and welded in place instead of done with the clamps and bolts, which is much better in my opinion. So $675 vs. what he's paying for an exhaust shop to do everything, you tell me who knows nothing.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Monte Of The Month - April 2010 & Sep

Cowboy, I wasn;t saying that you don't know anything, I was simply implying that in my opinion I disagreed with you. If one is not a shadetree mechanic and doesn't even change their oil, then I would probably say, just go to a shop and get it done. If you can remove a couple bolts and don't mind getting a little dirty, for the same price or a little more you can get a CAT back and get a better system. In my area there is one place that I know of that can bend their own exhaust, but they can't do mandrel bends. Most places just order it out of a catalog and the quality of the system does not compare. I was quoted like 300-350 for a non stainless steel exhaust from a shop, and with the winter driving and salt, I didn;t see spending that much for somthing that was going to rust out on me. I agree welded is better than just clamping it, but I must admit in the 4 years that I've had mine, I've had no problem with mine, and I'm just using the supplied clamps.

It's all a matter of personal prefrence.

The other thing about the price from the OP, it sounds like he's just replacing the u-bend, resonator, and muffler. he's not replaceing the whole exhaust. It also sounds like he's not getting two mufflers, but keeping the stock 3.4 setup. Again I don't know the current exchange rate, but to pay $430 for just a u-bend, resonator, and muffler swap, he's better off looking into getting a cat back and doing it himself.

Last edited by Donutboy97; 01-08-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I think the GMPP cat back is the only one worth the money, because its really very reasonably priced. The other cat backs are a total rip off IMO, and you DO NOT get what you pay for in those.

I went the exhaust shop route, and they put in all stainless steel pipes at my request.

I think it really depends on the exact set up you're looking for, whether you are better off going custom or cat back.

I think you can get more bang for your buck with custom with the exception of the GMPP cat back, that one is a great set up, and a great price.

And I totally agree that weld is better than the clamps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opinions on 3.4L Exhaust needed!