General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

what is the effect of E85 with performace?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 12:10 AM
Default RE: what is the effect of E85 with performace?

I don't see how you can be knocking if you're running E85... the noise, I'm sure it's not an actual "ping" or what they would call pre-detonation that harms the engine. The E85... the ethanol technically raises the octane level, meaning the fuel is more resistant to pre-detonation. That's why IRL cars run it, because they can get up to like 15:1 compression ratios with their pure ethanol running machines.Whereas even race fuel 103 or higher can't be run at that high of a compression.

What does the exhaust smell like? I noticed the IRL cars had a very... almost "Sweet" smelling exhaust, but then again they're running pure ethanol.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:03 PM

its really hard to describe the smell. I guess it is almost sweet but its just so distinct i cant describe it.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:39 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i remember when i was in niagara falls almost every bus that went by smelled like mcdonald french fries, i figured they msut have been running on ethanol. is that what i smelled or were they running something else?

Old 10-29-2007, 10:27 PM

Actually the bus must have been running the Bio-diesel. Bio deisel is made out of the same stuff as fat fryer grease (or very similar anyways, it's the ethanol/biological (renewable fuel)version of diesel fuel)

There's actually Diesel vehicles out there than have been modified (simple mod on older diesel cars/trucks) to run nothing more than a filtered, and slightly enriched used fryer grease. Can pick that stuff up free almost anywhere, just a matter of filtering, and changing some basic properties of the stuff.

Good stuff there... I just might have to find me an old diesel benz or sommat to play around with... heck free fuel! Just have to put time into getting and purifying it! Now THERE's a way to "stick it to the man" lol!

Old 11-11-2007, 06:23 PM

ORIGINAL: FlynhghR
The E85... the ethanol technically raises the octane level, meaning the fuel is more resistant to pre-detonation. That's why IRL cars run it, because they can get up to like 15:1 compression ratios with their pure ethanol running machines.Whereas even race fuel 103 or higher can't be run at that high of a compression.
Finally someone else that knows what they are talking about!!!

The E85 gets worse gas milage and slightly less power than regular gas IN a flex fuel vehicle but it is for the above reason. The compression ratio would need to be jacked up to see the real benifit of E85. I've been half tempted to get another Fiero and convert it to E-85 only but I would want a different 4 cyl put in... maybe the Tech4 and shave the heads to get that better compression ratio.