Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Performace Chips Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Default Performace Chips Question

I see these performance chips advertised that can increase HP up to 35 hp. Has anyone placed these chips in their car? What results have you experienced? Do they hurt the car in anyway? Do they void the warranty?

Thanks in advance

Old 01-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

chips suck!!!! see below about performance chips...

Performance chips

Old 01-09-2010, 02:07 PM

I see these performance chips advertised that can increase HP up to 35 hp.
First question- have you EVER seen anybody outside of these companies that can substantiate their outrageous claims?

They claim a 50 horsepower gain (supposedly WHP since that is why they claim they're better- because they use an actual dyno); 6 mpg improvement; and +10 mph on the governer. Do you really think if a simple $100 device could actually make these improvements that GM wouldn't have installed one on the car from the factory? What manufacturer wouldn't want a 50 hp gain and 6 mpg improvement?- that would put them easily ahead of that entire class of cars that they're competing in.

First off, I definitely call BS on the top speed change. If this chip is what I think it is- it taps into your IAT sensor wires to tell your car that the incoming air is colder than it really is. If that is the case, how does different fueling change a coded in value in the PCM? This would be like saying it extends the RPM limiter +500 rpm; and without changing the values in the pcm itself, or using some sort of pcm piggyback to alter the speed signal coming in- that is impossible to change.

Q: Will it void my vehicles warranty?

A: No. Manufactures cannot void warranty because of aftermarket parts
Secondly, I disagree with this. If you take your car in for engine work (plugged cat, or driveability problem)- and you've got one of these little boxes plugged in; they're going to refuse service without you paying for it. They are allowed to void the warranty if your aftermarket add-ons cause the problem.

Also, look at their product lineup for the monte carlo:

http://www.performancechiptuning.com...t/Monte+Carlo/

Every single product on the list is ricey gimmicky garbage:

-Voltage stabilizer (+5% fuel economy and +7% horsepower)
-Performance chip (+6 MPG and +50 horsepower)
-Electric supercharger (+60 horsepower)
-Air twister (Tornado) (+28% fuel economy and +7% horsepower)
-Fuel line magnet (+30% fuel economy)
-Whistle tip/turbo tip (no claim of horsepower or economy gains? I'm suprised!)
-$100 set of spark plugs (extra fuel economy and horsepower- no hard #'s)
-Hot air intake (+2 MPG and +10% horsepower)

Ok, so say you buy all of that- you start off with a 200 horsepower L36 that gets 20 mpg. Adding up their numbers in order, you would get: 381 horsepower and 47 MPG not including the spark plugs since they have no hard data.

Obviously these people are blantant liars- there is no way their hokey crap is going to give you a ~400 horsepower, 50 mpg engine without ever removing a valve cover, or anything on the engine itself.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:33 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

The short answer is no. The long answer is no. They'll tell you anything they can to make a couple of bucks. A friend of mine swears this performance chip on a Ford F-350 superduty makes it really pull over stock, but it's like a $500 performance chip. These things were popularized when I think the Camaro had a so called chip for hte police interceptors that gave it more power... I don't know much about that though.

And the thing about warranty, anything outside of a stereo and maybe mufflers can void the warranty.... okay, let's throw those racing seats in with this figure, providing you don't have side impact air bags.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Monte Of The Month - April 2010 & Sep

your best bet is to get a pcm tune.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I tried a Jet Performance chip for my Monte...WASTE OF MONEY! FRIED my ECM...Don't bother.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:57 PM

The performance chip came from the old 93 and older computers that had a removable memcal\eprom chip in them. They really didn't add the power they were claiming back then. The new ones plug inline with your ecm, still a bunch of snake oil if you ask me. the only way to go is to have the ecm tuned or reprogrammed with tuner software such as HP tuners or EFI Live.

There was also no police chip for the camaros. All the B4C or police package camaros were a debaged Z-28 with no t-tops and a bigger alternator for all the extra police equipment.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:24 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've seen a couple of officers talking about how their Camaro had more power than the public would have access to... you're hear to tell me that a sworn officer of the law would lie to me trying to scare me into going the speed limit and not running from him?!??!! PREPOSTEROUS!! LOL!

I trust that you are right though. Some of the greatest BS I've ever heard in my life came from the mouths of the law. The resource officer at my high school once claimed his mace was not really pepper based, it was alcohol based, and that he had a solution in his car that would remove it, but the paramedics did not. I call B.S. Another on the same police force claimed the fastest he ever went in a car was 200 MPH in a Plymouth Superbird back in about 1975.

Let's analyze this 200 mph claim.

1) That car did not have a 200 mph speedometer stock, and I don't know when the first 200 mph speedo was invented. If it did, the mechanical wire that runs it probably would never have been accurate to that kind of speed anyway!

2) Anytime you try to tell someone it's BS they immediatly babble about how the car was built to go 200 mph at Daytona and Talladega. This is true... aerodynamically. He would have had to do a TON of gutting (this guy was in the back seat when it supposebly happened), a TON of engine work, and a lot of suspension work because the only thing stock about a stock car even then was the frame and the body.

3) There were only about 600 made. The chance of this guys friend from high school owning one is unlikely, although the chance does exist.

So what does this have to do with the topic? Well... those performance chips are as bogus as both of these claims.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:30 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

chips on aa gas motor are a waste i wouldnt bother put your money else where