General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Opinion Needed: Weird tire sensor issue ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 02:25 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Weird tire sensor issue ?

Hi guys , just got back from making an *** out of myself at my local gas station...

I had a low right rear alert come on two days ago .... yesterday I put the rear right to 38 and the LEFT rear went up on the gauge ... ?

Today , I just went to driver rear and put that up to 38 and the driver FRONT went up to like 44 ?

So the sensors are backwards -- has anyone had this occur ? And I also got a recall notice about the ignition switch , on two occasions I had the key get stuck in the ignition but that was it. Any input would be appreciated guys ! It's a 2007 SS

Old 09-08-2014, 02:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by nightrider
Hi guys , just got back from making an *** out of myself at my local gas station...

I had a low right rear alert come on two days ago .... yesterday I put the rear right to 38 and the LEFT rear went up on the gauge ... ?

Today , I just went to driver rear and put that up to 38 and the driver FRONT went up to like 44 ?

So the sensors are backwards -- has anyone had this occur ? And I also got a recall notice about the ignition switch , on two occasions I had the key get stuck in the ignition but that was it. Any input would be appreciated guys ! It's a 2007 SS

It sounds like somebody rotated the tires but didn't reset the sensors ..

Old 09-08-2014, 03:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yep, check the owners manual on how to relearn the TPMS system. You have to do it everytime the tires are rotated.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:49 AM

Yes very easy fix, but annoying lol

Old 09-21-2014, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by nightrider
I re-set the sensors every-time I change tires, summer to winter, winter to summer etc., or rotating, although mine are directional, so its just Front to Rear.

It's easy after you get used to it. Its also easier with my wife in the car to read the pressure, but i can do it by myself.

On the DIC, there is a setting to Re-Learn tire positions.
1. When you press the button, horn honks twice to tell you learning has started.
2. Add air to Diver side front. It will honk once when it's identified.
3. Add air to Passenger side front. It will honk once when it's identified.
4. Add air to Passenger side rear. It will honk once when it's identified.
5. Add air to Diver side rear. It will honk twice when it's Done.

Did you notice you start at the driver door and end at the driver door? Makes it easy to get in and rear pressure.
Now, you probably have too much air in most tires. So, set them where you like them. I like 1 or 2 more pounds than the recommended factory 32, but, i have better tires.

You can also identify them by letting air out, it senses change to identify.

We also do this on my wife's grand Prix. The annoying part is they don't work all the time, sensors getting old.
You can buy new sensors, but they were probably made in 2007, since they don't use that type any more.

And yes, I got the recall notice.

Last edited by TomF106SS; 09-21-2014 at 11:16 AM.