General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Top 10: Douchemobiles #4 : /

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 08:05 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by wht02monte
and LOL is that really him??
Hunh??? I missed something.

Anyway...

I forget what make/model the forum was for. I think it was an import forum. I found it hillarious that the guys were calling it redneck. But they said anything pertaining to nascar is complete redneck.

If people want to call the Monte a douchemobile or redneck doesn't really matter. Screw `em! We like em, and that's all that really matters isn't it?

BTW... Thanks zipper. I like your choice of vehicles too!

Old 04-16-2010, 05:17 AM

LoL `Lou
-Taz-,
I think the auto journalist Thomas Bey likes to stir things `up
4-Sure. I think he is just filling `up empty spaces
on Ask Men to get his pay.
I have read several of his articles, and he is talented, and
has written some interesting articles.
*...Oh, that was not his pic I posted, but it was just
what I thought he would look like lol

This thread has created some great posts response.
Those written words, were fight'in words to the owners
of the AweSome Monte Carlo.
It's great to see member's defend, and hopefully laugh
at his article. I think it did what he intended it to do : )
I wonder what he gets paid for what falls outa his
head in2 print ?
Here's another article by him

Thomas Bey from AskMen has compiled 10 of the best car names out there.The MCF has a special Name for this writer
I can't post `it, cause I'd get Banned : )
No.10 - Dodge Swinger. 1969-1976
Whether or not these were intentionally bought by those pursuing a less vanilla life, we can’t say, but the Swinger was one of Dodge’s best car names. Not that it was one of the division’s best cars, which explains why it’s our No. 10. Thing was, nobody at the time paid inordinate attention to the moniker given to two-door Dart models. If anything, it was the Demon that got negative attention from conservative groups.

Dodge Swinger. 1969-1976.

No.9 - Porsche Carrera. 1956-Present.
One of the best car names has never enjoyed continual presence. Since the now-famous script appeared on the fenders of a few special Porsche 356s in 1956, the Carrera (Spanish for “race”) name has generally denoted a special, even more potent edition. Even if you didn’t know what the name meant, it simply sounded fast. Seen most recently on the over-the-top Carrera GT, it’s one of the best car names and also one of the most enduring.

Porsche Carrera. 1956-Present.

No.8 - Bugatti Veyron. 2006-Present.
The Bugatti name is magical to enthusiasts, so it takes a great model name -- and one breaking from the “EB” designation -- to stand well with the marque. However, one of the best car names is not necessarily as far removed from the automaker as you might think. The car’s name comes from Pierre Veyron, Bugatti wheelman and winner of the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1939.

Bugatti Veyron. 2006-Present.

No.7 - Chevrolet Corvette. 1953-Present.
Some have shrugged this off as an imaginary name that just sounds cool and nothing more, but it’s a real term for a small warship. Not so far out of place, when you think about it. Harley Earl may have designed it and Zora Arkus-Duntov later refined it, but it was GM employee Myron Scott who christened the two-seat fiberglass curiosity. Over half a century later, it’s more or less impossible to think Corvette without thinking speed. That’s indeed a sign of one of the best car names.

Chevrolet Corvette. 1953-Present.

No.6 - Dodge Viper. 1992-Present.
Dodge was an unlikely candidate for a serious performance car in the early ‘90s, but thanks to an impressive car and a great name, Viper is worthy of its place as one of the best car names. Known as Copperhead in prototype form before adopting its production name, the reptilian references were just a nod to the look of the car’s front end. The Viper name quickly signified more though, as an untamed creature on the edge of control.

Dodge Viper. 1992-Present.

No.5 - Lamborghini Countach. 1974-1990.
In a break from Lamborghini tradition of bullfighting-inspired model names, Countach is an Italian exclamation for something beautiful, striking and dead sexy. It was that very interjection at the sight of an early example that led to one of the best car names. For those unfamiliar with Italian colloquialisms, it also became one of the most mispronounced car names. Enlightenment sometimes has a trickle-down effect, and it’s been years since we’ve heard anyone call it a “cown-tack.” Thankfully.

Lamborghini Countach. 1974-1990.

No.4 - Shelby Cobra. 1962-1967.
Carroll Shelby said the Cobra name came to him in a dream; kind of ironic for a car that’s anything but peaceful. Regardless of the moment of inspiration, the application makes Cobra one of the best car names. We’re talking, of course, of the original AC-bodied Cobras. Ford has liberally used the name on various Mustangs since the ‘60s, but they’re a far cry from the curvaceous yet venomous roadsters that spelled trouble for Corvette owners of the era.

Shelby Cobra. 1962-1967. ©Jenn Ratonmort/Flickr

No.3 - Ferrari Testarossa. 1984-1996.
It’s just “red head” in Italian, for the color painted on the cam covers. However, tradition and the beauty of the language make this one of the best car names out there. It’s also no accident that the mid-engine coupe is named so similarly to the Testa Rossa race cars of the late ‘50s. What’s more, the moniker was more than a painted-on gimmick. This was, after all, a 12-cylinder Ferrari. Say what you will about the design, exotic performance will always be associated with this car name.

Ferrari Testarossa. 1984-1996. © Exfordy/Flickr

No.2 - Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud. 1955-1966.
Automakers have attempted to convey senses of calm and luxury in their cars for decades, but Rolls-Royce is one of the few whose names are as legendary as their models. This car is sterling, and it is soft. Any questions? Not to be confused with the more familiar Silver Shadow that followed, the Silver Cloud hearkens back to a time when Old Money was still Old Money -- just a little less so. It’s appropriate for a car that looks like an old bank building on wheels, with approximate size to match.

Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud. 1955-1966. © Wikimedia Commons.

No.1 - Ford Mustang. 1964-Present.
Said to have been named after the celebrated World War II fighter plane, but publicly marketed with equine overtones, the Mustang name has evoked thoughts of freedom and the open road for generations of drivers. Names like Boss, Cobra and Shelby have signified some even higher-performing ‘Stangs along the way; yet even on its own, Mustang is all that’s really mattered. The original pony car is still arguably the best, as is its name.

Ford Mustang. 1964-Present.

(story writen by Thomas Bey and re-published with the permission of AskMen.

Last edited by Space; 04-16-2010 at 05:53 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:23 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

6th grade together...
aahhhhhh hhaaaaaaa!!
lmao
My son (RJ-Bob III) almosts grad-e-ated before me and my pa.

We'd a never lived that down at family reunions.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:54 AM

Wow I guess Im a douche then. I mean I didnt think I was but I guess I am lolz

Old 04-18-2010, 10:38 PM
Default Slings and arrows flying at the Monte!

Geez. Between AskMen's hatchetjob and Consumer Reports' savaging of the Monte in its 2010 autos issue (as well as some petty lack of understandings from those who have seen my MC), it can be challenging to hold one's head high in this model!

Nonetheless, I still love my car. Maybe I could have sold out and been another automotive sheep who bought a tan Camry or a gray Accord, but I didn't want that! I'm glad to have something that's relatively distinctive without being obnoxious.

-M
('07 MC LT. Stock. No mods. Bought it knowing of and respecting the model's heavy NASCAR cred, but didn't care. Just wanted an affordable, reliable, good-looking, well-equipped, comfortable, powerful yet economical midsize coupe.)

Old 04-18-2010, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by LuSe4
Montes and grand prixs are more alike than those two.
I thought the exact same thing when I read the article. Personally I have no problem with just about any car with a 3800 under the hood.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Taz

15 Year Member

I stopped paying attention to Consumer Reports auto reviews. They hate 99% of everything GM, Ford, and Chrysler makes. Unless it's based on something designed by one of the imports. Then they love it.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:02 PM

Well Taz...maybe it is the redneck in me but I like your car.

As for this...it was brought up on another site that I visit and I will say this...the writer doesn't know cars. 95 to 07 was the last gen of the Montes per the writer...well I seem to think that there is what 3 gens in that year span? And just because he hates Nascar is no reason to bag on the Monte. Also what is with grouping the Grand Prix and Grand Am's together...it is like saying that if your Pontiac doesn't have a V8 it is a douche ride.

But on a positive note....atleast I am on websites with other douchebags like myself and we can enjoy our douche rides. :p

Old 04-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

I think he grouped the Grand Prix and the Grand Am together simply because the 99-04 Grand Ams share similar exterior styling cues. Looks like a miniature Grand Prix.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:41 PM

I honestly feel a little like a hoosier having a "nascar" model. I bought it because it was the best(only) one in my area with all the options I wanted. Having Intimidator instead of Supercharged all over it seems to keep the ricers at bay too. I like being more discreet while still looking like pimp lol.