General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

top tier gas

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Default top tier gas

Top Tier Detergent Gasoline

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is a recently established new standard for gasoline performance. Four of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, and Toyota recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance.

Since the minimum additive performance standards were first established by EPA in 1995, most gasoline marketers have actually reduced the concentration level of detergent additive in their gasoline by up to 50%. As a result, the ability of a vehicle to maintain stringent Tier 2 emission standards have been hampered, leading to engine deposits which can have a big impact on in-use emissions and driver satisfaction.

These automakers have raised the bar. TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline help drivers avoid lower quality gasoline which can leave deposits on critical engine parts, which reduces engine performance. That’s something both drivers and automakers want to avoid.

Old 12-11-2006, 06:11 PM
Default RE: top tier gas

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Retailers

Gasoline retailers must meet the high TOP TIER standards with all grades of gasoline to be approved by the automakers as providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

In addition, all gasoline outlets carrying the brand of the approved retailer must meet the TOP TIER standards.

Additional gasoline retailers are added to the TOP TIER list as they meet the standards. The retailers known to be on the TOP TIER list are shown below.

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

QuikTrip
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Chevron-Canada
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Company
Shell-Canada
Texaco
Petro-Canada

Old 12-11-2006, 08:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Here in California, ARCO won and owns the patents for the "CALIFORNIA ONLY" standards. All the refineries here pay ARCO for the formula even though they are allowed to called it something kewl like "TECHRON," Chevon's version. So you are basically gettiing the same gas, ARCO. I know there are a lot of people who swear that gases here in Cali are different, but they really aren't We have the strictest standards in the world and any refinery making a different formula from what ARCO makes gets fined heavily. So it doesn't matter if it's mom and pop CRAPPY GAS or Chevron, we are all getting the same gas here.

Old 12-11-2006, 08:23 PM

Nice to know if I ever venture to California. Hey solara you getting some of those 17" polished wheels like I have? They would look sharp on that brown LTZ.

Old 12-11-2006, 08:55 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: cain45

Nice to know if I ever venture to California. Hey solara you getting some of those 17" polished wheels like I have? They would look sharp on that brown LTZ.
Yeap, I'm really liking those. I've looked at every new chevy on the road and no one has them. I also like those door entry plates.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:04 PM

Got those door entry plates on order last week 12-4-06, should be arriving this week.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:09 PM

I know this discussion is about "Top Tier" fuel but tell me "cain45" when you bought the polished wheels from GM, did they come with centre bowtie caps and chrome nuts. The reason I ask is that I am going to order the 18" chrome jobs for a 2007 SS.

If you check GM parts direct, it looks like the wheel sold in a set of four, are classed as a "Kit", which I would think would include all the other goodies you need to install them, but I don't really know for sure. What happened in your case???

Old 12-12-2006, 01:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

oh great, the only 2 gas stations on that list that are in canada i would never buy gas from, wont buy gas from shell or wont buy gas from petro canada

Old 12-12-2006, 01:59 PM

Hey revitupfaster! The center caps are extra. You should be able to reuse your lug nuts I did. The center caps are a little of $100/4 of them.