General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Things that bother you about your Monte...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 12:33 PM

Can't find the power steering pump, would like to check the fluid level. I looked, looked more, my friend looked, looked again. I Checked the Owner's manual, behind Alternator and low on the Engine. I don't see it. maybe mine does not have one, the rack was replaced early in the car's history, along with the intermediate drive shaft, could of forgot to put back the reservoir?

Old 08-26-2016, 08:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2016
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

without power steering it would be really hard to drive and turn a corner
is the car in garage or on road?

Old 08-26-2016, 08:46 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I need to find my first post on this thread and check almost everything off that list

Old 08-26-2016, 08:56 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Ricks 2006 SS
Only thing I have to say is. Everyday I get up or when I get off of work. I CAN'T WAIT TO DRIVE MY 2006 SS ! She's one of the nicest looking car's inside & out that i have owned. I never park close to anyone at anytime. one reason is so I can look at her while I;m walking towards her. She's BEAUTIFUL. She runs good. Has plenty of room. Has all this oldman needs. But don't Hot Rod it. Yeah If I have to pass someone. That's nice to do ...Love that! Never follow to close if i'm on the freeway or surface street. ( stone chips) I treat her like a Sunday going to meetin car I LOVE THIS CAR.......
that was awesome, I garage mine in winter
I also park as far from others as I can

Old 06-03-2017, 12:57 AM
Default Good car, but

I had my 2003 Monte Carlo SS from 2003 to 2013. Got a decade of good service from it, and there were a lot of things I liked about it. But here's what I did not like about it:
Cheap, pealing interior plastics.
Flapping seatbelts.
Daytime running lamps.
The look of it. I think the 2000-05 era was the worst looking Monte Carlo by far. I was hoping it would grow on me, but it didn't. The Impala of that era looked okay to me. The last Monte Carlos of 2006-07 looked similar but much improved. In fact I think the last ones looked good. They didn't have that horrible droopy look. And by the way, the Pontiac Grand Prix looked good in those years.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:23 AM
Default middle era Monte's

The good's bad's and ugly... Of my 87 monte Carlo LS

Goods : Starts right up even after sitting for a long time and old gas in it.
Always runs the same never any issues.
Very much a car that CAN last as long as it has (30 years) and will live on for many more. Still has many OEM parts in service.

Bad's : Hates to idle, windows leak water when washing it, way to low
gears in the 10 bolt rear, stock alternator too weak.

Ugly : Trying to remove the oil filter when headers are in the way,
Stupid plastic master cylinder for brake fluid to leak all over.
Headlight removal very difficult and expensive to replace.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:41 PM

2001 Monte Carlo SS
Dislike the second cup holder in front of the shifter. You would have to have a mighty tiny or short cup not to knock it over when you put it in park. So it is a junk holder instead. I got tired of asking my passengers to move their drink so I could put it in park.
Both cup holders too small
Trunk struts keep failing. Surprisingly heavy trunk lid for being so short.
Wish it was a manual transmission! This is my biggest beef.
I like how low the car sits, but any road construction in my area I come across where they are re paving, I scrape bottom. Ouch! My poor stainless exhaust! Always have to go around
My headrests will not stay in the up position. I think the seatbelt loop is pulling them back down.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:57 AM

2007 Monte Carlo SS with 29k on the clock

#1 The Front Wheel Drive. Owning two Corvettes also it's a different world driving the Monte.

#2 The Cheap interior. Seats are hard as a rock and have no Bolsters to stop from sliding side to side.

#3 If GM calls the interior Leather then why does the color wear off??? Cheap crap.

IMO for an inexpensive vehicle that's exactly what you received, a cheaply made vehicle with more Hype via the Monte name than performance.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:42 PM
Default My list

Lets see well first of its a Monte Carlo and the name its self has always been a personal favorite of mine and i love my car but yes there is things that bother me...and some of the things i know i can and could fix and i will eventually but it still runs drives and like i said its a Monte so here goes:
Mine is a 06 LT

After reading all the complaints abt the cupholder got me thinking...Yea ive made a few clean ups especially with a LARGE BK cup so yea the cupholders bother me

In snow and ice or wet pavement the car seems loose in the rear end

Theres a 15-30 second clicking under the dash on passenger side

The onboard cpu tells me the hood is open at least once a day even after i had cpu replaced last summer from that pesky only running on 20% thing that Montes and Impalas do

I dont like the fact that GM made the Monte and The Impala to look identical in front end,someone told me they seen me several times and its a gold impala they seen...another person told me that the Monte in 06-07 was just a 2 door Impala which got me thinking...

Drivers side headlight perfect
Passenger side hazy
So im all the time shining it to match

Radio system isnt the best...why at volume level 45 should it be different with a cd in or hooked to my phone or the actual fm station cuz all 3 are different loudnesses and the higher you turn it up bye bye any bass but turning it back down you hear the bass more,and no way to change it thru stereo

At night when i hit my left turnsignal my brights come on,and i havta play with it to get it to go back to dim,thats ok if u dont have a hoard of oncoming traffic but there usually is someone that flashes me while im fiddling with it

But all in all its a Monte Carlo and all i havta do is go around to the back and look at those tail lights and im in love all over again

Old 04-18-2019, 01:21 AM

I don't like the rust I have going on at the rear fender wells.
I also wish there were more headlight options and aftermarket parts.

Quick Reply: Things that bother you about your Monte...