General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

7th Gen ('06-'07): Supercharger anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 08:59 PM

If you are really looking for gas mileage, I have an FFM. A Fred Flintstone Mobile, basically a very lightweight golf cart styled like Fred Flintstones Car only instead of Stone rollers, it uses hollow composite materials that cut the weight down immensely. ( Mainly Nylon but optional Kevlar to run flat ) High speed bearings in the forks of the wooden stick frame with gravity fed melted bacon grease feed into the bearings. ( You know, to be enviornmentally conscious, recycling and all that ) In addition there are dual accumulator bags made of genuine cow stomachs that fill with any compatible liquid you choose to put in your fuel tank as you push it to the top of the hill. The Decked out model includes 5 hr Energy for the operator.
Once at the top of the hill, the Operator using bare feet in the air conditioned floorboard can get a running start down the hill, then when rolling at 5 mph, can open the valve to the accumulators where the hydraulic pressure will give a breakneck boost ! As long as the terrain stays downhill you can go for miles.
* Note if you go down the Interstate into Alberquerque< I suggest life Insurance, because you only have bare feet for brakes as this was not a feature we included. We figured the lawsuits would cost less than making more than barefoot brakes.

Sorry guys I couldn't help myself, thought I'd throw some levity in :-)

Old 07-03-2018, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I do find it hard to believe that nearly every major manufacturer has got it wrong by going with small turbo engines.

Regardless, I think it's rather irrelevant to this topic. If the OP is concerned at all with gas mileage on a build like this then he's doing it wrong.

To start, if you were concerned about gas price, you wouldn't buy the biggest engine in the lineup that is reccomended to be run on premium (nor would you buy this platform if it was a main concern). Secondly, you wouldn't be looking to spend $10k on a supercharger (or turbo) + built trans to make it reliable. That's more than 75k miles worth of gas.
So, every manufacturer had it right in the early 2000's when all they made was truck-based SUV's that got an average of 12 mpg? If they're all so brilliant,why is it that only six
of those vehicles are still made?

All those manufacturers who bought their airbags from Takata got it right?

Let me as the question another way. If turbos are the right way to get performance, why are Malibus turbocharged, and Corvettes supercharged?

Old 07-09-2018, 09:30 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by HurricaneSSman
If turbos are the right way to get performance, why are Malibus turbocharged, and Corvettes supercharged?
They are the cheap way to get MPG and decent power out of small engines and heavy cars.

Corvettes are supercharged because it's instant power and fits better under the hood. Plus they are a large engine, and the argument is that smaller turbo engines in place of larger v6s keep the performance and MPG higher.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
They are the cheap way to get MPG and decent power out of small engines and heavy cars.

Corvettes are supercharged because it's instant power and fits better under the hood. Plus they are a large engine, and the argument is that smaller turbo engines in place of larger v6s keep the performance and MPG higher.
If it fits better under the hood, why won't it fit an LS4? (I'm not trying to start a war here, just to understand the statement.)

Also, the assertion of "cheaper" is not true. A quick survey of aftermarket turbos and blowers, which is what we're discussing here, finds them in the same price range. And turbos are certainly not cheaper once they shred themselves, as they inevitably will.

Finally, the assertion of higher MPG is an outright lie.

Old 07-10-2018, 12:52 AM

https://www.thecarconnection.com/new...coboost-engine

https://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/07/...plaints-wards/

https://jalopnik.com/the-ford-f-150-...-sa-1678282081

https://www.torquenews.com/1081/angr...ecoboost-bogus

Just a small sampling. And for those of you who say, "It's the intercooler, not the turbos," please keep in mind that supercharged engines do not require intercoolers.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:13 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by HurricaneSSman
If it fits better under the hood, why won't it fit an LS4? (I'm not trying to start a war here, just to understand the statement.)
The LS4 being a tight fit as it is, and transverse, it's just a very tight engine bay. The way that the blower fits on the corvette in place of the UIM just works.

If a company came out with an LS4 solution, it would probably fit. But as it exists right now, there just isn't one.

There's a turbo kit because it's easier to do some exhaust work and put the turbo where the current air box sits, or you can find someone to create the custom work for a procharger. Which goes back to the original question, and the original solution. It would require a good chunk of cash to have this custom work done.