General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

7th Gen ('06-'07): Supercharger anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 04:31 PM
Default Supercharger anyone?

I'm trying to find ANYONE to help me with is Procharging my 07 SS. I've seen turbo and nitrous, so is this impossible?

Old 06-22-2018, 05:05 PM

I've read that a supercharger won't fit under the hood. I hope it's not true, because I worked for Ford for a year and a half, and based on that experience, I would never own a turbocharged vehicle. Superchargers are basically three parts and never give anyone problems that I'm aware of. Turbos are piles of parts designed to enrich dealer service departments, and while in theory are preferred by manufacturers because they don't hurt mpg, in practice, they suck gas more than any supercharger.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Frank Jackson
I'm trying to find ANYONE to help me with is Procharging my 07 SS. I've seen turbo and nitrous, so is this impossible?
There are no kits that will bolt on. The problem is that all of the LS centrifugal kits are made for a RWD platform and are mounted near the front of the head on one of the banks. As you'll see by looking at it, there is no space.

Easiest way to make it work would be similar to the old 3800 centrifugal kits - mount the blower above / in front of the trans and run a jack shafts to their belt system. Still going to be clearance problems, but there's a lot less to deal with over there. Would also still be a custom job and way more expensive than a turbo kit.

If you don't care what kind of supercharger, a positive displacement one would be easier. They've got bolt in setups for the LS, you'd just have to figure out the belt system and what you'd do about the hood clearance. At least that would be centered over the engine, so a scoop or cowl would look less goofy.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by HurricaneSSman
I've read that a supercharger won't fit under the hood. I hope it's not true, because I worked for Ford for a year and a half, and based on that experience, I would never own a turbocharged vehicle. Superchargers are basically three parts and never give anyone problems that I'm aware of. Turbos are piles of parts designed to enrich dealer service departments, and while in theory are preferred by manufacturers because they don't hurt mpg, in practice, they suck gas more than any supercharger.
Turbochargers definitely have better fuel economy than superchargers, especially positive displacement blowers. That's why most of the automotive industry has turned to them to meet CAFE regulations. To be honest, that's not particularly important here though either way. We're talking about a 500+ crank hp V8 in a relatively heavy car with an old 4 speed auto. This certainly isn't being done for gas mileage.

As for them being installed to bring in dealer service, again that's not relevant here. The choices are either an aftermarket turbo kit or a custom one off blower kit. Either is going to far higher than OEM failure rates, and it's not like a dealer would service it.

Like them or not, they'll make the most power and in this case, a turbo is the only drop in option for boost.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Turbochargers definitely have better fuel economy than superchargers, especially positive displacement blowers. That's why most of the automotive industry has turned to them to meet CAFE regulations. To be honest, that's not particularly important here though either way. We're talking about a 500+ crank hp V8 in a relatively heavy car with an old 4 speed auto. This certainly isn't being done for gas mileage.

https://www.tfltruck.com/2016/05/whi...ader-question/

Read the comments, especially the one by F1500, which addresses the mpg. (Most of the others are reliability complaints.) While of course any lead-footed application of forced aspiration is going to reduce mpg, it makes no sense to waste more gas than you have to, especially since gas will hit $4 again eventually. And lies offend me. EcoBoost is a lie, one effectively addressed by F1500.

As for them being installed to bring in dealer service, again that's not relevant here. The choices are either an aftermarket turbo kit or a custom one off blower kit. Either is going to far higher than OEM failure rates, and it's not like a dealer would service it.

Obviously not. I was just mentioning the true reason why the industry went turbo rather than blower.

Like them or not, they'll make the most power and in this case, a turbo is the only drop in option for boost.
https://www.tfltruck.com/2016/05/whi...ader-question/

Read the comments, especially the one by F1500, which addresses the mpg. (Most of the others are reliability complaints.) While of course any lead-footed application of forced aspiration is going to reduce mpg, it makes no sense to waste more gas than you have to, especially since gas will hit $4 again eventually. And lies offend me. EcoBoost is a lie, one effectively addressed by F1500.

Obviously not. I was just mentioning the true reason why the industry went turbo rather than blower.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:52 PM

And this is the typical Ford response to the reliability issues: pretend it's not a common concern when it is. The CRC is where I worked.

March 24, 2016
Ontonagon, Ml 49953
Case# CAS-9081016-J1N1F2
Dear Mr.
Thank you for taking the time to contact Ford Motor Company.
We sincerely regret the service concerns you have experienced with your 2011 F-i 50. While we
believe your experience to be far from typical of Ford products, we certainly apologize for the
inconvenience you have been caused as a result.
Ford Motor Company values feedback from its owners. We appreciate your comments and take
your feedback as an opportunity to learn and grow as a company. We know that by listening
carefully to owners, we can avoid repeating problems and improve our vehicles and service.
If you need assistance, beyond that provided by your dealership, please contact our Customer
Relationship Center at 1-800-392-3673. Hours of operation are: 8:00 am. to 8:00 p.m. (Monday
to Friday) and 9:00 am. to 5:30 p.m. (Saturday), Eastern Standard Time. Hearing-impaired
callers with access to a TDD may contact 1-800-232-5952.
Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.
inc rely.
D.
Customer Service Representative
Ford Motor Company
Ford Customer Service Division
P0 Box 6248, MD 4S-B
Dearborn, Michigan 48126
USA

Old 06-24-2018, 06:48 PM

While of course any lead-footed application of forced aspiration is going to reduce mpg, it makes no sense to waste more gas than you have to, especially since gas will hit $4 again eventually. And lies offend me. EcoBoost is a lie, one effectively addressed by F1500.
I do find it hard to believe that nearly every major manufacturer has got it wrong by going with small turbo engines.

Regardless, I think it's rather irrelevant to this topic. If the OP is concerned at all with gas mileage on a build like this then he's doing it wrong.

To start, if you were concerned about gas price, you wouldn't buy the biggest engine in the lineup that is reccomended to be run on premium (nor would you buy this platform if it was a main concern). Secondly, you wouldn't be looking to spend $10k on a supercharger (or turbo) + built trans to make it reliable. That's more than 75k miles worth of gas.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 06-24-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:36 PM

And lies offend me. EcoBoost is a lie, one effectively addressed by F1500.
I don't really buy that the whole EcoBoost thing is a lie either. My wife's car is a 15 Edge with the 2.0 turbo EcoBoost and I think it's just fine. It gets high 20 mpg (nearly 3 mpg better than the Impala it replaced), and has reasonable WOT power.

We looked at other options from other manufacturers with NA 4 cylinders and there was not enough power. We looked at NA v6 options including the Edge, and although the power was just as good or even a little better, the fuel economy isn't as good for the type of driving we do (mainly highway). We have friends with a nearly identical Edge that got the NA v6 option and have a very similar commute to us, and they get notably less mileage than we do.

I'll admit, I would've preferred the TT V6 if it were me so the engine had a bit more power out of boost, but it does just fine for what she wanted.

It's not like EcoBoost is anything particularly special either. A lot of manufacturers are moving to smaller turbo engines, they just don't all have a catch phrase to describe it.
​​​​​

Old 06-24-2018, 10:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Guys, the comparisons of various ways to setup a boosted drive train is a great discussion topic, but let's try to keep this on track for the OP. Frank Jackson is looking to know more about options to boost a LS4.
Thanks!

Old 06-26-2018, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Guys, the comparisons of various ways to setup a boosted drive train is a great discussion topic, but let's try to keep this on track for the OP. Frank Jackson is looking to know more about options to boost a LS4.
Thanks!
Not to be combative, but I think that's already covered as much as we can without more info in post #3.

In short, there are zero bolt on options to supercharge the LS4, especially that'll fit within the confines of the stock engine bay.

His only real option here (assuming he doesn't have the engineering and fab skills / tools) is to take it to the nearest fab shop with a giant stack of money. That last part is always going to be the rub. A bolt on pre-engineered procharger kit for a new car is $5-6k parts only. You're going to need all of those parts + the engineering / fab time at likely $100+ an hour. That could easily end up at $10k installed not including getting a built trans to actually hold the power.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 06-26-2018 at 08:59 PM.

Quick Reply: 7th Gen ('06-'07): Supercharger anyone?