General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

squeaking

Old 05-12-2012, 12:38 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Interesting it's on the back. You do have rear trailing arms with rubber bushings (they don't have grease fittings though like the aftermarket upgrades do). It may be worth trying to "bounce" that region of the car (just press down on it and let go) and see if you can hear the squeak or push on the left and right sides. May need a helper (someone to rock/push/bounce and another to listen).

Old 05-12-2012, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by #1 stunna
only when you turn the wheel left about half way-- it starts
But does the noise happen as the wheel is spinning or just as the knuckle goes from left to right?

Old 05-13-2012, 03:46 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

But does the noise happen as the wheel is spinning or just as the knuckle goes from left to right?
BOTH!

Interesting it's on the back. You do have rear trailing arms with rubber bushings (they don't have grease fittings though like the aftermarket upgrades do). It may be worth trying to "bounce" that region of the car (just press down on it and let go) and see if you can hear the squeak or push on the left and right sides. May need a helper (someone
Its not on the rear ... its front left(drivers side)Happens when turning left doesn't matter if car is moving or sitting still - bounce the car no noise, ... squeaky only when turning left and is coming from somewhere behind the wheel (dnt think its strut related)

Old 05-13-2012, 11:05 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yes its coming from behind the left wheel, its not a wheel bearing you would hear that making alot noise at high speeds
Its not on the rear ... its front left(drivers side)Happens when turning left doesn't matter if car is moving or sitting still - bounce the car no noise, ... squeaky only when turning left and is coming from somewhere behind the wheel (dnt think its strut related)
Sorry, I misread an earlier post. So here's what I got:
- Noise does not happen when at high speeds
- Noise does not happen when you bounce or push the car (this rules out suspension bushings).
- Noise only happens on left turns.

You have one of THREE issues:
1 - Incorrect tire pressure. Verify that all tires have the correct and equal pressure. Also check the tread wear for anything out of whack, such as a possible alignment issue.
2 - Problem with brakes. The warning tabs are close to rubbing or an issue with the rotors. Easy check, pop both wheels off, inspect the pad wear and the rotors. If you can't find anything pull the rotors and pad off both sides and switch them. If the sounds now moved to the opposite side, it's the brakes. The reason for this can just be the finest amount of movement based on change in pressure and weight distribution.
3 - If all those check out and have no effect on the problem (and those are the things that just cost time not so much money), you are looking at a failed wheel bearing. I've changed a LOT of bearing assemblies in FWD cars for a lot of reasons. Just because it does NOT make noise at high speeds does NOT mean the bearing is not bad. I've had some bearings only make noise in LOW speed turns (like turning into a parking lot), I've had others that whine when driving at high speeds in straight lines. If items 1 & 2 don't solve the problem, then this is what you have left. When buying wheel bearing assemblies, I recommend Timkin bearings via RockAuto.com. They are good quality bearings and I believe made in the USA.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:49 PM

Can you get a video so we can hear the sound?

Old 05-14-2012, 01:10 PM

My stepdad thinks it sounds like the rack&pinion (steering rack) maybe failing internally , it is not leaking any fluids. He is a airplane mechanic but is very good car mechanic as well . I will get a video for yall to hear

Old 05-14-2012, 02:09 PM
Old 10-18-2014, 12:57 AM

I've got the same noise/ situation from my right front wheel. Time to do some down and dirty investigating. Like others, I have suspected the steering rack but now I'm not nearly as suspicious of it as I was. I hope it's a wheel bearing. PLEEEEASE let it be a wheel bearing...........LOL