General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 09:45 AM

I got tons of tickets, and always paid them, I should of tried to fight, but I was to nervous and was on probation. I got caught for a 60 in a 30, the officer was speeding up on me, so I sped up to get out his way, but he did not right me a ticket. The last one I got I decided to go to traffic school, which was a good 50 dollars off, but that whole rims throw off your speed is kinda dumb... That don't sound logical.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Lindale is HORRIBLE! I think almost everyone in northern Ohio knows about thatm. Like you said, 3-4 miles of freeway, they don't even have an on or off ramp, and given that they write the MOST tickets in all of Ohio. Plus, I think traffic tickets are the bread-n-butter of that city!! HORRIBLE!
Makes you wonder why people still fly through there. I set my cruise at 60 now when I go through there. Even the sheriff is getting hard up for cash - they started a traffic unit, up by Fairview Park and closer to Cleveland they patrol a lot of the freeway.

I've only fought one ticket in my life because I was clocked by a cop who was going the opposite direction as me and was moving. I didn't think that you could legally do that so I took it to court, but I was told that this radar unit was able to do it (just set it to opposite direction) and it will do the math bases on the officers speed. But I argued that the radar was stationary and it was a busy road so how could he actually be sure it was me. In Ohio, radar units must be stationary they can't pick them up and point them because it messes with the readings. They can ONLY hold and shoot laser devices because if you move or jerk it around you won't throw it off like radar would.

So the judge knocked me down from 16 over (41 in a 25) to 5 over. About 65 dollars plus court costs (sure beats the original 160 dollar fine). But now I know that the un-marked units that make up our traffic unit can do moving radar...our black and whites have to be stationary. I probably would have slowed down though if I had recognized him as a cop - we just got this Charger and I forgot about it because I've been used to seeing nothing but Crown Vics for the last 20 years I've lived here.

Speeding ticket-csmith.jpg This is him trying to inconspicuously patrol my street.

Last edited by Mike 00LS; 07-12-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:03 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by t.s.b
but that whole rims throw off your speed is kinda dumb... That don't sound logical.
It is a truth. If you change the original diameter of the wheel (we are not talking the rim, but the diameter fo the tread), you now change how many times that tire rotates to make distance.

To demonstrate the point, take a bottle cap from a pop bottle and place a mark on it. Then take a larger object, like the bottle itself and place a mark on it. Now, roll those objects 1 foot in distance. Using the mark, count how many revolutions those objects made to go one foot. The cap being the smaller object had a lot more revolutions then the bottle.

Now, your car does pretty much the same thing, as I understand, modern cars calculate how fast you are going by how quickly the wheel makes a revolution. If you change the wheel diameter to something different then stock, you changed how many revolutions the wheel makes, throwing that calculation off.
You will notice that companies who offer PCM tuning I believe also given an option for if you changed the wheel diameter. The purpose is to make that calculation correct for your application.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:53 AM

I see there are a few pages of replies to your post here, so excuse me if I'm repeating stuff others have already told you.

Yes, I've gotten a number of speeding tickets since I started driving. I remember one time I was caught doing 87 mph in a 55 zone. I got out of that one, because I pled "not guilty" and decided to go to court, even though the court was about an hour and a half from my house at the time. The cop who issued the ticket didn't show up for the court date, so the ticket had to be dismissed. It's always a good idea to plead not guilty, and go to court to fight the ticket. If the cop doesn't show up at the court date, the ticket gets dismissed (at least that's what happened to me more than once). At the very least, the judge will usually reduce the mph over the speed limit that the ticket said you were doing, and give you a chance at fewer points on your license and a reduced fine.

Years ago I read a book that was written by a former state trooper on how to get out of speeding tickets (I think it was called "The Speeder's Guide to Avoiding Tickets"). I can tell you that even though you said you tried to treat the cop with respect, the thing you did wrong when he pulled you over was to get into an argument or debate with him. NEVER question why the cop pulled you over, or tell him that HE must be wrong about how fast you were going, or that HIS equipment must be faulty. Cops have big egos, and they like their egos to be stroked. If you know what his rank is, address him by that ("Hello, Sergeant Jones", etc) Be polite at all times. Do not get out of your vehicle unless you are told to. Keep your hands where the officer can see them, preferably on the steering wheel. If your license or wallet isn't readily available (maybe it's in the glove box, for example), ask the cop if you can get it.... just don't reach over for it. He might think you're going for a gun. You want to make the cop feel safe and unthreatened at all times. Don't lose your temper with him! We all know it's a pain in the *** to be pulled over, but the cop is just doing his job, no matter how stupid it might seem to you. If you feel the need to vent or curse him out, wait until after he's gotten back into his car and he can't hear you. Just be as cooperative as you can with him, and then make your case about why you feel you weren't going as fast as the cop said you were in front of a judge when you plead not guilty and go to court.

Last edited by myfirstbowtie; 07-14-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

I recently got let off with a $25 seat belt ticket (I had it on) for going 82 in a 55. I got a written warning for speeding though. Latter I got a ticket for using a right turn only lane to go straight... So stupid on my part.
OP, go to traffic school and pay the small amount. Done and done.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:44 PM

Rims do throw off the vehicle speed. In my diablosport tuner you can go in and change the rim size so your speedometer will be accurate if you have larger or smaller wheels.

I have never gotten a ticket.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
It is a truth. If you change the original diameter of the wheel (we are not talking the rim, but the diameter fo the tread), you now change how many times that tire rotates to make distance.

To demonstrate the point, take a bottle cap from a pop bottle and place a mark on it. Then take a larger object, like the bottle itself and place a mark on it. Now, roll those objects 1 foot in distance. Using the mark, count how many revolutions those objects made to go one foot. The cap being the smaller object had a lot more revolutions then the bottle.

Now, your car does pretty much the same thing, as I understand, modern cars calculate how fast you are going by how quickly the wheel makes a revolution. If you change the wheel diameter to something different then stock, you changed how many revolutions the wheel makes, throwing that calculation off.
You will notice that companies who offer PCM tuning I believe also given an option for if you changed the wheel diameter. The purpose is to make that calculation correct for your application.

i learned something ew today, and now that i think about it that makes sense, that may be a reason i may never update my rims size.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by model16
Rims do throw off the vehicle speed. In my diablosport tuner you can go in and change the rim size so your speedometer will be accurate if you have larger or smaller wheels.

I have never gotten a ticket.

now that is very convient!! lol =]

Old 07-13-2011, 10:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by t.s.b
i learned something new today, and now that i think about it that makes sense, that may be a reason i may never update my rims size.
Glad to help.

I'm sure there is a better explanation then what I gave, but I think the concept is the same.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:49 PM

I got one once about 2 years ago.. I was in the Monte rushing to run to the restroom.., and I was going about 55 in a 40 zone. I was very respectable to the cop, and he let me go. The problem (when I came back from the restroom) was that he still gave me a ticket! I eventually got the ticket dismissed by taking an online defensive driving course. I guess the fact that I was dancing around ready to explode didn't faze the officer. I think to take the course it was about $50 or so.. I now always look for speed limit signs and do the exact limit (when possible) or a few miles over.

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket