General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by 05MonteLS
I got one once about 2 years ago.. I was in the Monte rushing to run to the restroom.., and I was going about 55 in a 40 zone. I was very respectable to the cop, and he let me go. The problem (when I came back from the restroom) was that he still gave me a ticket! I eventually got the ticket dismissed by taking an online defensive driving course. I guess the fact that I was dancing around ready to explode didn't faze the officer. I think to take the course it was about $50 or so.. I now always look for speed limit signs and do the exact limit (when possible) or a few miles over.
LOL... when you said the cop "let you go", I was assuming you meant he let you drive off without giving you a ticket, not that he let you go to the bathroom!

As for taking the defensive driving course after getting a ticket, I've done that too myself, but at least here in NY, it only takes (if I remember correctly) up to 3 points off your license each time you take the course, and I don't think you can take the course more than once per year. The course removes the points from your license, which helps with your insurance rates, but the actual violation stays on your permanent record for several years (at least that's how it works here).

Old 07-19-2011, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by 05MonteLS
I got one once about 2 years ago.. I was in the Monte rushing to run to the restroom.., and I was going about 55 in a 40 zone. I was very respectable to the cop, and he let me go. The problem (when I came back from the restroom) was that he still gave me a ticket! I eventually got the ticket dismissed by taking an online defensive driving course. I guess the fact that I was dancing around ready to explode didn't faze the officer. I think to take the course it was about $50 or so.. I now always look for speed limit signs and do the exact limit (when possible) or a few miles over.
LOL, reminds me of this funny bumper sticker I saw.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:53 PM

LOL!

Old 07-19-2011, 01:59 PM

I got pulled over doing 81 in a 45mph construction zone on the PA turnpike on the way back from Hershey, PA. I was nervous as hell because the fine would be doubled. Luckily the cop saw my dog tags on my mirror, he asked if I was in the military and then just told me to slow down and let me go. Nicest cop ever! This was around 7 years ago. In my defense the speed limit was 65 and everyone else was doing around 75 until the construction zone. Never be the leader or the rabbit as my father says.

The last ticket I got was about 10 years ago and it was for doing 72 in a 55. I think he knocked it down to 65mph for me and then I just paid it. I can't remember exactly but it was around $120-140. Thats the only speeding ticket I've ever had. I typically drive 6-7mph over the limit with no problems.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:31 PM

I did. Got my first speeding ticket in the state of Georgia, Fulton county - one of the worst. Back in November I was driving on the highway (speed limit it "55" - LOL, cops and senior citizens don't even go that slow) at a supposed 85mph. Yeeeeeah. Me, being not quite 19 yet, I really went under the hammer. I was sentenced to 40 hours of community service and 5 driving classes. The classes alone cost me $400, and the commute to service cost me nearly $100 in gas alone. While there I met folks who had done some real crimes with lighter sentences than I had!

I said my 'Yes sir, no sirs's and was truly respectful (I actually do not hate cops), but I still got my *** whupped. It took 5 months. Did I learn? Yeah... where the 5-0 hides

Old 07-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This one is going to sound like a joke, I can assure you it really happenned... When I was 18 (1981) I was out driving my (not too stock) 1970 GTO and decided to gun it up a steep incline and got to about 80 mph in a big hurry, right over the top was a cruiser with a radar gun... Way too late to slow down, so I just pulled over leisure like... He came up to my window and asked me if I knew how fast I was going (I knew he had me - sooo) , I replied "No, I was too scared to look down"... Next thing I knew he is doubled over laughing... End result, no ticket and we chatted around the car with the hood up for about 15 minutes, he was a gear head too... This guy was definately one in a million...

Old 07-19-2011, 10:57 PM

no speeding ticket here but i got in a accident and got a improper lane change ticket went to court expecting to be ordered to driving improvement like everyone else down here but instead got my fine reduced by half with court cost and ticket fee ended up paying 168 bucks pled guilty

Old 07-20-2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by milrlyt
I did. Got my first speeding ticket in the state of Georgia, Fulton county - one of the worst. Back in November I was driving on the highway (speed limit it "55" - LOL, cops and senior citizens don't even go that slow) at a supposed 85mph. Yeeeeeah. Me, being not quite 19 yet, I really went under the hammer. I was sentenced to 40 hours of community service and 5 driving classes. The classes alone cost me $400, and the commute to service cost me nearly $100 in gas alone. While there I met folks who had done some real crimes with lighter sentences than I had!
It sounds like the judge wanted to make an example of you, or perhaps he thought he'd break you of the bad habit (of speeding) while you were still young enough to learn differently

Originally Posted by Crusader SS
He came up to my window and asked me if I knew how fast I was going (I knew he had me - sooo) , I replied "No, I was too scared to look down"
LOL... Don't think I've ever used that line when I've been pulled over. Great story!

Old 07-20-2011, 10:41 AM

Definately go to court, chances are he wont show up, if he does ask when his gun was last calibrated, and most of all just be polite and courteous, it goes pretty far in a court room. Hell last year i got a ticket for going 120 in a 40, I talked with the officer for awhile mainly about how i had just changed a lot of thing on my car and just wanted to get it up to that speed to make sure it held together, threw a lot of big car words at him and left him kind of clueless. Afterwards he said he would write it down as me goin 115 in a 60, because in texas going twice the limit is reckless driving and I'd have to go straight to jail, and then he never even turned in the ticket lol.

If you cant fight it try to take defensive driving since its your first ticket, as long as you get the course finished by the deadline you wont have to pay anything and it wont go on your driving record, and the defensive driving course might lower your insurance, atleast thats how ti work here in texas.

Last edited by Overdose666; 07-20-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Crusader SS
This one is going to sound like a joke, I can assure you it really happenned... When I was 18 (1981) I was out driving my (not too stock) 1970 GTO and decided to gun it up a steep incline and got to about 80 mph in a big hurry, right over the top was a cruiser with a radar gun... Way too late to slow down, so I just pulled over leisure like... He came up to my window and asked me if I knew how fast I was going (I knew he had me - sooo) , I replied "No, I was too scared to look down"... Next thing I knew he is doubled over laughing... End result, no ticket and we chatted around the car with the hood up for about 15 minutes, he was a gear head too... This guy was definately one in a million...
Heh, I'm glad that the cop understood that you needed to let the Goat stretch her legs.. As Ricky Bobby would say, "I wanna go fast!"

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket