General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

some questions from a new member!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 02:08 PM
Default RE: some questions from a new member!!!

ORIGINAL: 87ss355

hey guys, i'm pretty new to getting into monte carlos, my habit was camaros, i recently got offered a 87ss for my camaro and i don't think i'm going to reject this one, i just have a few questions before i make any assumptions and shoot myself in the foot, it has no motor and needs some body work, but i already do have a motor for it, its a performance built 355 pushing about 350hp to the wheels, i know that the rear end in the car is a 10-bolt, but the guy has no idea if its a posi or not, i was wondering if anyone knows what the gear ratio in those cars were back then, i'm pretty sure its 3.73 posi, but i'm not sure, and do you think that that motor will be pushing to much to the wheels that i'm just going to have to replace it. also, he does have the tranny for it, but i wasn't able to get the numbers offof it tofind out what it is, i think its a turbo 200 but i was wondering what came stock in those cars for thatyear, and would you recommendkeeping it with my setup or upgrading to something like a turbo 350 or 400.any feedback appreciated.
Member's, I don't think `Kyle is concerned about the original 305 cu inch,
he stated in his first post that he has a built 355 350 to the Wheels
Thread `jumped `off track : )
[:-]
Kyle, will look forward to your future posts/pic's.
Good Luck on your Project.
`Space

Old 03-08-2008, 09:58 PM

yeah, the car came witha 200r4 and 3.73 posi. the overdrive or "overdose" as i like to call them will only take so much before it doesn't wanna shift anymore. 350 hp prolly wont bother it for quite sometime but if it does,... you can put a manual valve body in it along with a strong rebuild with select performance pieces and it will do the job like a pro. lots of torquehurts these trannys causing them to not shift. throttle valve cable settings also plague these applications if you changed the carb fromstock . Art Carr can hook you up if you love the overdose but it's gonna cost about 2k or so. too much $$$ for me when a nicely built 400 turbo will solve ALL the problems. as for your 10 bolt,.. i'm over 600 hp and still using the stock housing and axles. i installed a Auburn pro unit and Richmond ring n pinion along with welding in some long racing studs for my wheels back in '91. it's on borrowed time before it breaks but i had 425 hp back then in the car for about 10 yrs plus a Nos cheater kit before the current engine i'm running and it outlived thatengine.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:09 PM

damn, sounds likea pretty sweet setup, and after you telling me that, i'm really hoping it is a posi, i'm planning on bringing my tranny to my school to see if i can rebuild it in class and just pick up a manual valve body and a shift kit for it, just to prevent any future porblems, thanks for the help guys, i get the car in about 8 days, so you should be seeing some pics pretty soon.