Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 09:04 PM
Default Some questions...

Anyway i was wondering, about the steering on the 2001 SS, is there anyway to make it feel firmer i guess you could say..... i don't know how to explain it really i guess.... but i'll try to explain.
Well for example Acura's RSX, the steering is very different, tighter comes to mind really, "Steering is very sharp, with no play at center, no slop". While the monte carlo on the other hand is loose in comparison. What i'm really getting at is, well, is there anyway to make the steering any bit similar? Is there anything you can change or add to get that precision steering....?

Oh right with that, how easy would it be to change the steering wheel? I hate that plastic, i prefer all leather :-) I'm not sure how its held on really, or if it differs with each car manufacturer... Idealistically i'd prefer to have a RSX's steering wheel on it ( i don't care if theres an acura logo on it or not) Would the airbag/ cruise controls be compatible between the 2 systems....? though this is not really a priority, i dont care to see it happen really, just want to know if it CAN be done?

Also, is there anyway to help the car handle better on curves?

Thank you for reading i hope u can answer some or all of my questions :-D

_________
Adam

Old 10-16-2007, 09:08 PM
Default RE: Some questions...

Oh right, also would an acura key fob work with the car or no?

Old 10-16-2007, 09:45 PM

it sounds like what you actually want is an rsx

for less play/ sharper steering - first make sure that there isnt anything actually loose. low tire, tie rod ends, ball joints, wheel bearings, control arm bushings, subframe mounts, anything that might have an affect. second, you could look into alignment specs and have it aligned to act more the way you want. i would imagine the factory alignment specs were probly less agressive than that of an rsx.

i'm sure you could change the steering wheel, but you would most likely loose your air bag, cruise control buttons, and radio controls if you did. i dont think an acura steering wheel or key fob would be compatible.

as far as hadling better, performance tires, wider tires, larger diameter wheels, experiment w/ tire pressure, replace struts, springs to lower and or stiffen ride, gm sells larger sway bars, tubular rear trailing arms, and strut tower brace, all part of pk12456148, changing alignment specs, weight reduction.... i'm sure theres more, but most of that applies to any car.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:37 AM

ORIGINAL: 2000LS

it sounds like what you actually want is an rsx

Yeah no kidding. You're probably best off just buying an RSX. Regarding whether or not it can be done, everything is possible.But trying to turn a fullsize domestic coupe into compact import would not only difficult but probably more work than it's worth.

Just my two cents...

-Adrian