General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Security on message center

Old 10-04-2011, 08:19 AM
Default Security on message center

I have a 2001 ss, sometimes while driving the security light comes on the message center? has anyone had this happen to them ? any suggestions on how to fix............??????????

Old 10-04-2011, 08:30 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Very common on these cars. A good chance that the ignition cylinder is starting to wear out.

Do you have a lot of weight on your keychain?

Old 10-04-2011, 09:10 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Thats wat it was on my camaro wen i had security issues

Old 10-04-2011, 09:28 AM

I had that happen to me when I had an old remote starter system. Whenever I remote started the car and then drove off, that message would pop on and only stay on for that trip. If you have a remote starter, that may be the issue.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:57 PM

I have been battling this problem for a while now and its driving me insane... First I thought I was to reprogrammed my key for the security light to go out, then I even disconnected the amp from the factory radio (draining my battery..How I don't know), even change keys and still it does not work. My car cranks when it wants too...smh! I thought getting another key key would be best but its still acting up. Now my only dreading option is buying the ignition cylinder to replace it. I have came across something that was a ?. Called the dealer and they told me that my car does not require a programmed key?! Anyone have gone through the security light with a NOT programmed key?

Old 10-18-2011, 08:29 AM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by rgant_19
I have been battling this problem for a while now and its driving me insane... First I thought I was to reprogrammed my key for the security light to go out, then I even disconnected the amp from the factory radio (draining my battery..How I don't know), even change keys and still it does not work. My car cranks when it wants too...smh! I thought getting another key key would be best but its still acting up. Now my only dreading option is buying the ignition cylinder to replace it. I have came across something that was a ?. Called the dealer and they told me that my car does not require a programmed key?! Anyone have gone through the security light with a NOT programmed key?
The dealer is correct. Your car doesn't have a chip like the old gm keys. Just look at the key, there is NO small chip on it. That's what they used to use. That's what is on my Camaro, and was on my Lumina. These cars use the BCM and the and the PCM and a sensor with wires in the ignition. When you turn the key the ignition sends a charge to the BCM and the PCM and they make sure everything matches up before it lets the car start.

Most likely some of these wires are going bad and not sending the right charges. Some dealerships will change the ignition system and the wires all at one swing.

If you are comfortable taking it all apart yourself, you might find some discoloring or bad wires that you can probably sand paper and reconnect.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:38 PM

Thanks for the reply Chi but do you have any instructions on how to do? I know I don't wanna attempt to start fixing it and end up with more of a problem from just being "hoping I correct the problem" easy fix....smh! I know my cylinders inside is damaged due to 2yrs ago a tow truck driver hit the head of the key with a flash light so I can turn my key instead of getting towed home. Which the key wouldn't turn and security light came on that night as well, which I was I was stuck So now the original key has problem turning inside the ignition but the dummy key TURNS FREELY ((scratchin my head)). Where is the BCM and PCM? an I repair them myself? Do you know if it has been done by someone?

Old 10-18-2011, 10:49 PM

So Technically I can get an oe key cut and it should work just fine. I had gotten two chip keys from my job and that didn't work (thinking I had to reprogram my vehicle). So, since there is no chip in the oe key, then the dummy key should crank the car just as well as the oe key...Right? Or Wrong?

Old 10-19-2011, 08:42 AM

15 Year Member

Yes as long as it is cut properly for the cylinder. But if your cylinder is damaged like you say, it most likely could be the problem.