General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Remote Start and Bypass Module

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 03:34 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Remote Start and Bypass Module

I just bought a viper car alarm and remote start to put in my 99 ls. My key has some sort of resistor anti-theft chip on it and I'm pretty sure that needs to be bypassed in order to get the remote start to work, correct? What kind of security is it? I've heard of Passkey, Passlock I, and Passlock II. Do I need some sort of bypass module along with my car starter? If so which do you recommenced? How exactly does the bypass work? Also, can I install the rest of the unit without installing a bypass for now and not have any problems? (the remote start won't work I assume) Meaning can I install everything minus the bypass and have the alarm, lock, unlock, and trunk popper features work even though the bypass isn't installed? The system is coming in a couple of days and I would like to get it installed. Thanks.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:48 AM

You can install the rest of the system without the bypass for the resistor in the key. There are modules you can get that will "trick" the system into thinking the key is in the ignition. They are like $30 or so and can be found at most places that install alarms. You can cheat on those as well and bypass the system but your insurance company may not like it if the car got stolen.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:06 AM

http://www.xpresskit.com/product.aspx?productid=356
Bypass modules like the one above basically reproduce the chip in your key so your car thinks it inst being stolen. That's how I used to explain them to customers when I sold the stuff lol Unless you can tuck a key for it to pull the signal or what ever it is it reads you will need a bypass module. There could be a trick im unaware of though I definitely don't know nearly everything there is to know.