Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Factory amp and remote start issue

Old 06-07-2011, 12:36 AM
Default Factory amp and remote start issue

I have an 04 Dale Jr Monte with a Viper alarm & remote start installed as well as an aftermarket amp powering a sub box. A couple weeks ago, speakers started randomly crackling, kinda like if you were to rake a live speaker wire over a speaker connection. I thought maybe something had worked loose or there was water bridging something. I took apart the dash and checked the amp in the back and all the fuses but everything appeared to be fine. I put everything back together and the crackling was still present.

A few days after this, I get no sound. Radio appears to operate normally and my subs still produce sound. My multimeter shows signal getting back to the factory, but nothing coming out. I run the speaker wire from the sub box to one of the rear speakers to test them and they are still working. I figure, ok, problem solved, factory amp is fried. I had an older 4 channel amp lying around so I figure I'll just toss that in.

I google around and find the wiring diagram and hook everything up. Everything is back to normal except for a few things:

1.) I used the speaker level inputs on the new amp. My door/alarm chime is now louder than a banshee out of hell. I nearly crapped myself when I started my car after hooking everything back up. Short of just snipping it out, anyone have any ideas on what to do? I'd like to keep the chime but at a much more reasonable volume level.

2.) I've lost my remote start functionality. Remote door and truck unlock work normally. Alarm and all sensors that should trigger it work normally. During remote start, the car appears (at least electrically) to attempt to start the car but the engine doesn't even attempt to start. Starting with the key works normally. I know this occurred for certain only after I disconnected the factory amp- I'm lazy and was remote starting from the trunk while testing the amp and speakers. Any ideas on what could have caused this? Possibly related to #3 below.

3.) After connecting everything for the replacement amp, I'm left with 5 wires in the harness that don't connect to anything. It has been a long, long while since I've done any car audio work and I'm not entirely sure what they are for and whether they are necessary.

The wires in question are labeled A1, A3, B1, B3 and B5 in the above image. I'm almost positive the A1-A3 and B1-B3 pairs are for RAP to the speaker system (which I have lost since the amp swap- no biggie). However, I am concerned about the B5 wire. "Antenna Enable Signal" would lead me to believe this wire should be a switched power wire but testing it showed it to be a constant power wire. Radio reception still works perfectly so I'm confused as to what it is actually doing. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Old 06-07-2011, 06:31 AM

I just messed with my harness two days ago. There is a tool you can buy for a few dollars at any auto store and you just ground one end of it to metal and stick the other end into your wires and it will light up when it gets power going to that wire. No idea what you actually call that thing, but perhaps you can try that to help figure it out better. Unless that's what you were referring to when you tested it.

When I wired my speakers up to my new amp, the door chimes were loud as s**t too. It's just the amp. Try playing with the gains and such.