General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Rear Window Defroster Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Exclamation Rear Window Defroster Help

My defroster hasnt worked since i bought this car. Its starting to get cold here at 5am. Every day i go to work my windows are fogged up. I looked at the tabs and using a test light, had no power to any of them(Yes Defroster switch was on). So i took the panel off to follow the wires and found this box. What is it? and could it be the problem?
There is power to the white wire when the car is on. My guess is the green would be the ground. The 2 black wires attach to the window and i have no clue what the wire to the left is.

Any help troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Rear Window Defroster Help-dsc09818.jpg  
Old 10-15-2010, 02:56 PM

I know this might sound obvious, but did you check to see if contact was still being made in your back windshield in the corner on the driver's side?

Old 10-15-2010, 03:02 PM

Yes. It looks connected and using a test light i got no power from any of the 2 window connections

Old 11-14-2010, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by smitty911
My defroster hasnt worked since i bought this car. Its starting to get cold here at 5am. Every day i go to work my windows are fogged up. I looked at the tabs and using a test light, had no power to any of them(Yes Defroster switch was on). So i took the panel off to follow the wires and found this box. What is it? and could it be the problem?
There is power to the white wire when the car is on. My guess is the green would be the ground. The 2 black wires attach to the window and i have no clue what the wire to the left is.

Any help troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.

My guess would be that might be the timer for the rear defroster.. That is, unless that is controlled by the body computer. It shuts off the system after 15 minutes or so.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Thumbs up rear window defogger mod in question

Smitty 911-The Module you shown is the Radio Antenna Module.
The bottom coax cable is antenna connection from the radio.
The green and white wires on the bottom are the antenna module connector. green is 12 v supply from ckt brkr and relay-this is what supplys the pwr for the defogger.. white is for the antenna-ignore for trouble shooting the defogger.
the top blk wire to the lower window grid is for the defogger connection
the top blk wire to the upper window grid is the antenna connection
make note the antenna and defogger grid are in series.
Hope this helps

Old 12-01-2010, 10:38 AM

i have a 2007 monte carlo and the defogger isnt working either checked the grid and it is ok the light in the switch comes on and i can hear the relay click but im not getting any power to the grid any clue as to where i should look for the problem thanks