General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Onstar Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 09:24 PM
Default RE: Onstar Question

That's what I'm saying, unless doing this means you can have everything controlled on one screen, versus haveing multiple screens... it's not very usefull. Sure it removes another antenna... and is more accurate than the magnetic type antennas.... having to do all that would be frustrating. Not to mention completely pull apart the car to get to that unit.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:58 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When my Onstar system needed the back up battery replaced the dealer said they didn't stock any Onstar parts. Onstar had to send the replacement battery to them so it could be installed.

Not sure if Onstar is factory installed or dealer?

The 3LT (or LT3 if you perfer) I looked at before I bought my '06LTZ did not have Onstar either.

So not all Montes have it.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:29 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

I think as was mentioned, OnStar was advertised standard on all 07's.

In this case, we are figuring that it was a "delete."

Old 10-10-2007, 09:23 AM

I have the 03 SS and no on star. Is there anyway I can get it installed?

Old 10-10-2007, 09:36 AM

ORIGINAL: dirty

I have the 03 SS and no on star. Is there anyway I can get it installed?
[align=center]Dirty, I'm sure it could be done, but I don't know how[/align][align=center]expensive it would be.[/align][align=center]Click the below link, & email/call OnStar with your questions.[/align][align=center]Good Luck[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/index.jsp?seo=goo_onstar[/align]

Old 10-10-2007, 09:53 AM

I Don't think Onstar is installed at the Dealer, My 01 Grand Prix has Onstar that is the anolog System and nothing can be done to convert it to digital, or install a new system. So I don't believe the Dealer can install only the Factory.
But possibly because it was a rental is why You don't have Onstar

Old 10-10-2007, 10:03 AM

[center][:-]
Everything here can be found at the OnStar website HERE[b].

Digital Transition
In November 2002, the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) ruled that wireless carriers will no longer be required to support the analog wireless network as of early 2008. Additionally, wireless carriers in Canada have elected to follow suit and have also begun the shift from analog to digital technology. As a result, beginning January 1, 2008, OnStar service will be available only through dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment. From the beginning, OnStar has relied on a nationwide analog wireless network to provide communication to and from OnStar-equipped vehicles. Today, the analog network continues to provide the most extensive coverage across the U.S. and Canada. However, U.S. and Canadian wireless carriers have begun to shift from analog to digital networks and so will OnStar. Affected subscribers will be contacted prior to the transition date with more information.

Q. How does OnStar work?

A. OnStar brings together emergency service providers, wireless telephone, and satellite technologies to help protect you and help you stay connected on the road. It is powered by your vehicle's battery. If your battery is damaged or disconnected, your system will not be operational.

Q. Will my OnStar-equipped vehicle's analog-only system still work after January 1, 2008?

A. No. As of January 1, 2008, OnStar will offer service only through equipment that has the ability to operate on the digital network (i.e., dual-mode equipment).

Q. Will I still be able to get an OnStar subscription after the transition date?

A. Yes. OnStar service will be available through dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment, which is currently available on some 2004, most 2005, and all 2006 and newer OnStar-equipped vehicles. However, depending on the version of equipment in your existing vehicle, the system may or may not be upgradable to dual-mode equipment.

Q. How does the transition to the digital network affect me right now?

A. You don't need to do anything at this time. However, if you happen to be in the market for a new vehicle, OnStar-equipped vehicles with dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment are now available on some 2004, most 2005, and all 2006 and newer models.

Q. What are the different types of equipment on OnStar-equipped vehicles?

A. OnStar-equipped vehicles will have one of three types of equipment:
Analog-only: All 2002 model year and earlier vehicles have analog-only equipment. Fortunately, the FCC ruling requires that U.S. wireless carriers provide reliable, nationwide analog service up until early 2008. Additionally, Canadian wireless carriers have indicated that they will follow the U.S. transition plan. As of January 1, 2008, OnStar-equipped vehicles with analog-only equipment will no longer have OnStar service. OnStar service will be available through dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment.
Analog/Digital-Ready: Most 2003 and 2004 model year-and some 2005 model year-GM vehicles have analog/digital-ready equipment. As of January 1, 2008, OnStar service will only be offered through dual-mode equipment. However, it will be possible to install analog/digital (dual-mode) equipment on these vehicles.
Analog/Digital (Dual Mode): Some 2004, most 2005, and all 2006 model year OnStar-equipped vehicles feature dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment, which will be unaffected by the digital transition.

Q. How will I know what kind of equipment is in a vehicle?

A. There are several ways to tell what type of equipment comes on an OnStar-equipped vehicle:
a) Look for the label o