General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Need to replace fuel pump. help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 05:26 PM
Default Need to replace fuel pump. help?

Ok so it's been quite some time since I've officially visited the site so hello to all again.

The other week I was helping a buddy move, long story short the next morning went to start my car and the fuel pump was not turning on. I got lucky and was able to beat on the tank till it turned on, drove to another friends house were I can park it and work on it.

Now my big question is what should I replace the pump with?
Buy full assembly?
What brands are recommended?
Should I take the time to switch just the little electrical pump inside the assembly?
Maybe settle for the full assembly from the boneyard?

Times are not the best for me money wise at the moment but right now I'm driving my 88 caprice (gas hog) so I still have transportation but I would like to get the monte back up.

Details on the monte: 1998 z34 260k on odometer, 3800 roughly 120k on motor new gaskets from lower intake up, transmissions still shifting great with clean fluid, suspensions got issues all the shocks and struts have gone weak, I'm still comfortably driving the car as long as I get my fuel pressure back

Please post away with your thoughts

Old 12-23-2013, 08:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Personally, I would not bother with a yard pump. Too many unknowns, I'd hate to get a great deal and then be back at this mess again in a couple of weeks.

If you are looking for ease of install and plan to keep the car a few more year, buy the full assembly (so you pull the pump, sending unit and all) out of the tank and replace it in one shot.

You mentioned that you're trying to save money, get just the pump itself and change just the pump.

As far as brands to get or stay away from, I have no knowledge on that.... Perhaps some others can weigh in on this one.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:03 AM

Thanks for the response. How delicate of a task is it to change the pump itself? I've never done that just a full unit replacement.

Old 12-24-2013, 06:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Honestly, a fuel pump failing has been a rare thing for me. I think I've only been involved in it a handful of times (either swapping the pump assembly from a rotted tank to a new tank or a full pump assembly replacement).

I want to say I've only done one pump replacement and it was on a '89 Turbo Trans Am. On that vehicle it was not a big deal. Disconnect a harness and a line or two and re-assemble.

I suppose you can look at it this way, you know the pump is bad. Get the assembly out, try to change it. If that fails, exchange the stand alone pump for the full drop-in assembly. As I'm willing to bet, you will know if you can do this without issue by the time you pull the old pump off.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have a 1999 Z-34..
I have experienced a fuel pump failure... In doing so.. I went to Oreilys and bought a completely new pump and assy...

It was a fairly simple task... Since our models do not have the "access panel" in the trunk. You will have to drop the tank ... and remove the pump from the top of the tank. This will also be a great time to inspect all of the lines. Use caution and when removeing the lines from the tank... Once your able to remove the tank from underneath the vehicle...R and R ing the pump is a breeze. Reconnect your lines, reassemble your tank back in the car and you should be all set.

Like Maniac(Jason) Mentioned, its really not worth getting one from the boneyard... Especially if your considering keeping the car and expect to have it last.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:33 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

I also agree buy new don't junk yard this. If this is the se design as the 04 Monte It is not impossible to change just the pump but it is not fun either. Need to cut the rivits off so the tension arms slide out of the bucket, then will have to slice all the hoses to get them off pump and then clamp them back on to the new pump, them install tension arms into bucket and bend the ends so it doesn't come back apart. Idk if they even sell just the pump for this application. I have a used stock pump only laying around if u want to try that but Ide suggest the whole assembly...

Old 12-24-2013, 10:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You can get an entire pump and sending unit from a parts store unless you want to upgrade to a high flow fuel pump, then do a rewire from wbodystore, but you will need to drop the tank.