General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

1988 wipers gone crazy

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 06:16 PM
Default 1988 wipers gone crazy

Now please refrain from yelling at me . I'm posting this about my 88 caprice. I think I have delay wipers? Not sure what the pulse wipers are? Either way I would think the older montes have the same wiper system correct?

The wipers in my caprice have issues and it appears through search that it can be a common problem, but not finding much for a fix. I'm hoping I can find somebody on here with some insight to it.

The wipers at times randomly start wiping or randomly park on the windshield, me playing with the controls 90% of the time seem to have no effect. Sometimes the washer fluid starts spraying out on it's own and the wiping continues. The other day they would not work at all popped the hood tapped on the wiper motor assembly and they started moving again.

I've read something about the wipers maybe not hitting park causing some of this. How do I make sure the park is set correctly?

Also heard with some of these older units that the grease inside dries up and I might be able to resolder some points to get it going correctly. Could this be an option with this year?

The junkyard around me should have some complete units laying around that I can pick up for $20-35, new it can range from $50-125

The only experience I've had with the wiper system in a car was changing the wipers themselves. I tried putting a toggle switch on and that worked fine for 3 days then the washer issue started, I could move the switch to the wiper fuse but it'll still spray washer fluid then. Hoping to figure it out a real fix.

Thanks to whoever read through this rant

Last edited by mwjames; 12-23-2013 at 06:17 PM. Reason: adding more text
Old 12-23-2013, 07:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by mwjames
Now please refrain from yelling at me . I'm posting this about my 88 caprice. I think I have delay wipers? Not sure what the pulse wipers are? Either way I would think the older montes have the same wiper system correct?

The wipers in my caprice have issues and it appears through search that it can be a common problem, but not finding much for a fix. I'm hoping I can find somebody on here with some insight to it.

The wipers at times randomly start wiping or randomly park on the windshield, me playing with the controls 90% of the time seem to have no effect. Sometimes the washer fluid starts spraying out on it's own and the wiping continues. The other day they would not work at all popped the hood tapped on the wiper motor assembly and they started moving again.

I've read something about the wipers maybe not hitting park causing some of this. How do I make sure the park is set correctly?

Also heard with some of these older units that the grease inside dries up and I might be able to resolder some points to get it going correctly. Could this be an option with this year?

The junkyard around me should have some complete units laying around that I can pick up for $20-35, new it can range from $50-125

The only experience I've had with the wiper system in a car was changing the wipers themselves. I tried putting a toggle switch on and that worked fine for 3 days then the washer issue started, I could move the switch to the wiper fuse but it'll still spray washer fluid then. Hoping to figure it out a real fix.

Thanks to whoever read through this rant
The only thing you can do is replace the wiper motor and assembly to fix it.. it's worn out...
unfortunately..there's no "quick" fix.
The park mechanism.. is built inside the assembly as well.
There's no resetting it once it's wornout.
1) have it rebuilt
2) replace it.

Last edited by STUMPMI; 12-23-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:30 AM

the ground strap located on the wiper motor has broken or the bolt mounting the wiper motor that goes thru the ground strao has fallen out or has coroded up or come lose. this causes the wipers do wierd **** as you described. i think it is the bottem right bolt the one hidden at the bottem real hard to get to, most people leave it out and wonnder why there wippers do crazy things.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:59 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to hopefully tear a little further into this by friday.

Does anybody know if the wiper motor tells the washer pump when to work? Could a bad regulator cause any issues like this?

Old 12-24-2013, 01:11 AM

yes it does and the ground curcit tells it when to opperate. everything small amp like this curcit works off of ground draw that is why the cucritry can be so small. if the ground is gone wowee it'll do odd stuff.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:27 PM

Just out of curiosity do you figure they'll still work but go crazy without the grand strap attached because it's trying to ground through the unit itself and the metal on the car? And raising the resistance of it. Or maybe just because it grounds for a moment? then wildly does what it wants?