General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): MPD Ram Air Hood

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2022, 05:45 AM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default MPD Ram Air Hood

Seeing as how parts have become harder and harder to come by for this platform, I just wanted to throw this out there for any diehards who wants to make their Monte stand out.

After a bit of research and finding out Eric of MPD had passed, i discovered his molds were sold to Kaminari based in Nevada. They retain the same ram air function from what I was told.

Ive been meaning to post this for a while now but I've have been constantly forgetting.

K016415 CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO 2000-2005 HOOD RAM AIR EX MPD FRP

https://kaminari.com/products/chevrolet-monte-carlo-2006-2007-hood-ram-air-ex-mpd-frp

I do not work for the company and not affiliated in anyway, just wanted to throw this out there. I will say the ram air function does work and works well. I mated the plenum to my slp air box and once it gets moving the intake temps drop very quickly, much quicker than before the hood. Other folks who have ran this hood back in the day chose to remove the ram air plenum to allow the air to just dump on the SC housing. I can take pics if anyone is interested.

Again, just throwing this out there because it took me a while to finally track down where these molds went.

Old 06-16-2022, 07:33 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That is good info! I have seen people asking about the MPD hoods.

I have something different in mind, but it will have to be custom made (if I ever get to that point).

Old 06-16-2022, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mac7504
I do not work for the company and not affiliated in anyway, just wanted to throw this out there. I will say the ram air function does work and works well. I mated the plenum to my slp air box and once it gets moving the intake temps drop very quickly, much quicker than before the hood. Other folks who have ran this hood back in the day chose to remove the ram air plenum to allow the air to just dump on the SC housing. I can take pics if anyone is interested.
Super interested to see pictures of how the duct is routed to the airbox! I've been in a major battle against the heat out here and am considering building my own intake, designing it with the hood in mind would be awesome!

Old 06-16-2022, 03:02 PM

I'd like to see this too; makes me wish the 6th gen had more parts, especially Ram Air Hoods.

Wish I could still purchase one as I am not buying anymore Duraflex hoods.

Old 06-16-2022, 09:33 PM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Thrush_Glasspack
I'd like to see this too; makes me wish the 6th gen had more parts, especially Ram Air Hoods.

Wish I could still purchase one as I am not buying anymore Duraflex hoods.
You could still purchase them through the website I posted above.

Old 06-16-2022, 09:40 PM
15 Year Member

Forgive the "gasket" that mates to the hood. It was suppose to be a mock up but got lazy and never finished it. Mostly because im switching to a cold air induction unit and would need to refit and cut anyway. The car def needs some engine cleaning but ill be installing an m90 kit that ive had on the shelf forever so it will be done at that time.

As stated before, the plenum is removeable if u want to have air dump on your sc housing or intake manifold. I chose to reuse the engine mat.

Old 06-16-2022, 10:30 PM
15 Year Member

And for clarification, the plenum does not come drilled out with a hole. It's up to you where to place it and how big. It will be interesting to see where my existing hole ends up with the cold air inductions intake. I may need to order another plenum if it's way off or just remove it.

Old 06-17-2022, 01:13 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

Seeing as how parts have become harder and harder to come by for this platform, I just wanted to throw this out there for any diehards who wants to make their Monte stand out.

After a bit of research and finding out Eric of MPD had passed, i discovered his molds were sold to Kaminari based in Nevada. They retain the same ram air function from what I was told.

Ive been meaning to post this for a while now but I've have been constantly forgetting.

K016415 CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO 2000-2005 HOOD RAM AIR EX MPD FRP

https://kaminari.com/products/chevro...air-ex-mpd-frp

Again, just throwing this out there because it took me a while to finally track down where these molds went.

That is wonderful news to share, thanks, always hope they were still accessible should I get in a wreck or some nimrod drops a brick from an over pass onto my Monte. Plus I have people contact me via You Tube about where they can find them, so you the man MAC7504. Something I found funny, when I clicked the link you provided, viola, they are using a photo of my Monte to promote thier MPD hood, how awesome is that, saaay whut!! I'm cool with that, free advertisement is better than no advertisement.

Thanks for running this down, I was concerned for the reasons I stated, one never knows when a part is no longer available. Had a very close call with my GMPP LSD just today. It tanked a couple months ago, locked up when I was doing a burnout, while hot *******,. It was anti-climatic, barely left a black mark at all. Anyway its in the shop now and today I get the bad news. The LSD Final Drive planetary gears grenaded, piles of pieces. And these are more rare than the MPD hood. I'm like depressed. But then my main man says he figured out he can take planetary gears from a V8 and repair the LSD, I'm so releived, dreaded the worst, like the Monte was dead. But no, she lives yet again.. Yeah, see pic for damage, sad affairs there....It endured at least 100 launches, finally caved in to the stress of the rather hard launches.

02 Monte Carlo SS, GMPP Final Drive Planetary Drive gears grenaded, one to many launches. Great news is all is repairable, using Chevy V-8 parts.

Transmission locked up due to gears grrenading. Only way to move was with these dollys. Yeah, wasnt totally immobilized.

Old 06-17-2022, 01:46 AM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
That is wonderful news to share, thanks, always hope they were still accessible should I get in a wreck or some nimrod drops a brick from an over pass onto my Monte. Plus I have people contact me via You Tube about where they can find them, so you the man MAC7504. Something I found funny, when I clicked the link you provided, viola, they are using a photo of my Monte to promote thier MPD hood, how awesome is that, saaay whut!! I'm cool with that, free advertisement is better than no advertisement.

Thanks for running this down, I was concerned for the reasons I stated, one never knows when a part is no longer available. Had a very close call with my GMPP LSD just today. It tanked a couple months ago, locked up when I was doing a burnout, while hot *******,. It was anti-climatic, barely left a black mark at all. Anyway its in the shop now and today I get the bad news. The LSD Final Drive planetary gears grenaded, piles of pieces. And these are more rare than the MPD hood. I'm like depressed. But then my main man says he figured out he can take planetary gears from a V8 and repair the LSD, I'm so releived, dreaded the worst, like the Monte was dead. But no, she lives yet again.. Yeah, see pic for damage, sad affairs there....It endured at least 100 launches, finally caved in to the stress of the rather hard launches.

02 Monte Carlo SS, GMPP Final Drive Planetary Drive gears grenaded, one to many launches. Great news is all is repairable, using Chevy V-8 parts.

Transmission locked up due to gears grrenading. Only way to move was with these dollys. Yeah, wasnt totally immobilized.

Yeah I had the same concern and adding a different cia made me start looking into what happened to these which led me into my detective work. It's amazing what you can find out on the internet. Lol. I need to get my hood repainted as the clear the last shop used was obviously sub par because it's coming off / faded.

That blows about the diff but hey at least they can fix it. I wanted one of those so badly back in the day but when they couldn't be had I reached our to Quaife but they had a 10 unit minimum order and cost around 800 each at that time not counting vat.

That's pretty awesome they are using ur car for advertising, i believe it was on old mpd site as well. I knew that car looked familiar.

I'll try to be here more often for updates now that I'm off 2 wheels but I've also a new ZL1 thats also got me side tracked at times. Lol.

Old 06-17-2022, 06:00 AM

Forgive the "gasket" that mates to the hood. It was suppose to be a mock up but got lazy and never finished it. Mostly because im switching to a cold air induction unit and would need to refit and cut anyway. The car def needs some engine cleaning but ill be installing an m90 kit that ive had on the shelf forever so it will be done at that time.

As stated before, the plenum is removeable if u want to have air dump on your sc housing or intake manifold. I chose to reuse the engine mat.
So that metal vent is called a plenum? And it comes with the hood? I also have a cai I'm installing too. I'll be sure to set that up before I make my purchase.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): MPD Ram Air Hood