General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): MPD Ram Air Hood

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 10:25 AM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Thrush_Glasspack
So that metal vent is called a plenum? And it comes with the hood? I also have a cai I'm installing too. I'll be sure to set that up before I make my purchase.
I believe it's fiberglass and yes it comes with the hood.

Old 06-18-2022, 12:42 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

The functional RAM AIR is why I opted for this hood too. Back in the day we did a smoke test to to assess the air flow and modified the plenum twice. 1st we drilled holes to dump cool air (now plugged with the silver plugs in pic) but they did not perform well. So we removed a couple small sections behind the plenum (not shown) and then cut the enlongated air evacuation slots (see pic) at back of hood to create air flow over the motor and and an immediate exit for the now heated air. Smoke test reveled this setup worked as hoped for. Yet the plenum air duct to the cool air dump is still functional, now used to route cool air close to the turbo vicinity. My air filter is in not in the engine bay at all as it is mounted in the fender well with sheet metal funneling air to it.

Old 06-18-2022, 01:03 AM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
The functional RAM AIR is why I opted for this hood too. Back in the day we did a smoke test to to assess the air flow and modified the plenum twice. 1st we drilled holes to dump cool air (now plugged with the silver plugs in pic) but they did not perform well. So we removed a couple small sections behind the plenum (not shown) and then cut the enlongated air evacuation slots (see pic) at back of hood to create air flow over the motor and and an immediate exit for the now heated air. Smoke test reveled this setup worked as hoped for. Yet the plenum air duct to the cool air dump is still functional, now used to route cool air close to the turbo vicinity. My air filter is in not in the engine bay at all as it is mounted in the fender well with sheet metal funneling air to it.

very interesting Zip, you're plenum looks tremendously different than mine. Did u cut and modify that part? It almost looks like a competiting company's hood from back in the day that also made ram air setups.

That is unless Eric had modified his plenum setups after my version.
edit: reading for the loss. Lol..

Old 06-18-2022, 10:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mac7504

Forgive the "gasket" that mates to the hood. It was suppose to be a mock up but got lazy and never finished it. Mostly because im switching to a cold air induction unit and would need to refit and cut anyway. The car def needs some engine cleaning but ill be installing an m90 kit that ive had on the shelf forever so it will be done at that time.

As stated before, the plenum is removeable if u want to have air dump on your sc housing or intake manifold. I chose to reuse the engine mat.
LOL, thats ingenuity with the gasket, never hurts to do a mock up, and it did the job, yeah!

I bet we may have different hoods, hard to tell with your heat mat masking the hoods structural details. I never noticed till you pointed it out and the difference is vast, mines all glass, where as yours being metal and removable, thats a nifty feature to have available.

So you are going the M90 route, jheesh stop it already, you are still the madman, it will scream. Read where you are off 2 wheels and have the 2022 ZL1 Camaro, dude, you a crazy one, seems like your Special SLP Edition Monte would be put under a car cover and forgot about with that Camaro being the hot ticket fun mobile. Anyway, you have one of the original nice build Montes here on the forum, a bit dusty but still a rare car, thus a keeper. Thanks again for linking this MPD hood page, Vegas is about 5 hours from me, so its local in the grand scheme of things , great info to tuck away. take care bud....

Old 06-19-2022, 01:23 AM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
LOL, thats ingenuity with the gasket, never hurts to do a mock up, and it did the job, yeah!

I bet we may have different hoods, hard to tell with your heat mat masking the hoods structural details. I never noticed till you pointed it out and the difference is vast, mines all glass, where as yours being metal and removable, thats a nifty feature to have available.

So you are going the M90 route, jheesh stop it already, you are still the madman, it will scream. Read where you are off 2 wheels and have the 2022 ZL1 Camaro, dude, you a crazy one, seems like your Special SLP Edition Monte would be put under a car cover and forgot about with that Camaro being the hot ticket fun mobile. Anyway, you have one of the original nice build Montes here on the forum, a bit dusty but still a rare car, thus a keeper. Thanks again for linking this MPD hood page, Vegas is about 5 hours from me, so its local in the grand scheme of things , great info to tuck away. take care bud....
Hey Zip! I got so lazy lol. I was embarrassed to post it but people asked so i couldn't refuse.

I'll have to check tomorrow again but I believe its fiberglass but it is removable. Eric used to use the steel skeleton and just skinned over it to the actual hood itself.

Yeah, I just couldn't bring myself to do a turbo setup. I love my SLP headers and would have to remove those and not just that, while I'm a big fan of the power they put down, I haven't enjoyed the power delivery of any turbo car I've driven. I love the sounds they make as well but just so many changes had to be made and wasnt willing to do it. I had an m90 sskit sitting for a bit now. I sent it off to Charles at Magnumpowers for a strip and rebuil since the rotorpacks were in such bad condition when I received the kit from zzp. He added one of his gen5 bearing plates which incorporates a larger trapped air port, supposed to add 10% more gains. The coating he's using is also supposed to withstand meth better. It came back in a much much better shape.

Yeah, I just had to take the plunge because imo the ZL1 is the best bang for your buck and that things rips!!! When gm announced they wouldn't continue an ice Camaro it was a no brainer for me.. plus since I'm off of 2 wheel now, I really needed another fix. Hahaa. The Monte will still be getting love but admittedly it's taken a back seat the past few months but she will never go anywhere and will still receive love. I will likely send out the trans to TEP for a rebuild at some point as well.

I've always admired your build as well, i feel there have been and continues to be some really unique cars here, just not in the frequency there used to be. All the more reason I will likely never get ride of this car. I'm glad to be back here and hope to post more updates soon.
love to see the updates I've seen this far as well on others cars.

Last edited by Mac7504; 06-19-2022 at 01:36 AM.
Old 06-19-2022, 01:40 AM
15 Year Member

Quick pic of the new ride. We'll sort of new, I've had her since March.

Old 06-19-2022, 07:26 PM

Quick question to Mac7504; those SLP Headers....are they on a 3800 or a 3400?

Old 06-19-2022, 08:18 PM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by thrush_glasspack
quick question to mac7504; those slp headers....are they on a 3800 or a 3400?

Old 06-20-2022, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mac7504

Dangit. No hope for 3400 headers....I refuse to give MMS free money.

Old 06-20-2022, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Thrush_Glasspack
Dangit. No hope for 3400 headers....I refuse to give MMS free money.
Why not buy Grand Am 3400 headers (I think OBX makes some) and just have those modified by a local exhaust shop to fit your car?

At least the hard part (primaries) will be done - it'll just be modifying thr crossover to clear the 4t65 and the downpipe to clear the firewall - both of which should just be 1 pipe each (ie a lot cheaper to just cut and weld).

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 06-20-2022 at 10:10 PM.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): MPD Ram Air Hood