General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

To mod or not to mod..?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by cheech
I have a 2003 Jeff Gordon edition ss and it has 125,000 miles on does it pay to keep it stock with those amount of miles on? i just bought the car a few months ago and i just want to mod the **** out of it but not sure if i should because its a limited edition. I dont have a C.O.A either. what are you guys thinking?
Simple answer: no. With that high of miles and no C.o.A. As stated, the "limited editions" of these cars don't hold much, if any, higher of a value than the LS or SS models.

Earnhardt, Jeff Gordon or Tony Stewart's may go for a bit more if they're really low miles and have the certificate but only to the die hard fan/collector which are few and thin.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:54 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by cheech
I have a 2003 Jeff Gordon edition ss and it has 125,000 miles on does it pay to keep it stock with those amount of miles on? i just bought the car a few months ago and i just want to mod the **** out of it but not sure if i should because its a limited edition. I dont have a C.O.A either. what are you guys thinking?
I have about 155 miles on mine now. I am 55 so I'm not going to sit on it 20 years but maybe 2 while I use up the lease on my other car...

So unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse after two years I will be driving it and enjoying it. I was a mechanic for 16 years so I tend to mess with my cars. Still do all my own maintenance. I don't have the COA either but I do have a letter from Chevrolet stating my car is a DE Edition and is 765 out of 3333. I am the first registered owner. Second owner that it was titled to...

Old 06-06-2012, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Taz
Like I said in my previous post, don't get the K&N. But I have to agree with BlackRain. If you're only driving the car on special occasions or weekends, you should seriously evaluate whether it's worth the money to do a cold air intake and exhaust. If you really want to do the performance mods, go for it. But if the car gets very little use, you may want to keep the air intake stock.

The tinted windows are a must in my opinion. Looks good, keeps the interior cooler, makes it harder for snooping eyes to see in your car, and saves your interior some too.
I've yet to do the tint on mine. I'm hoping thats next. It'd be nice to have something to keep the leather a little cooler in the summer and protect a bit from fade.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by DE02Carlo
I have about 155 miles on mine now. I am 55 so I'm not going to sit on it 20 years but maybe 2 while I use up the lease on my other car...

So unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse after two years I will be driving it and enjoying it. I was a mechanic for 16 years so I tend to mess with my cars. Still do all my own maintenance. I don't have the COA either but I do have a letter from Chevrolet stating my car is a DE Edition and is 765 out of 3333. I am the first registered owner. Second owner that it was titled to...
I agree. I wouldn't buy a car to just let it sit, I buy it to enjoy and drive. If I wanted a car to sit I'd buy a diecast model. Its like i tell my grandparents everytime they see my truck caked in mud and gravel dust.."I bought it for play and hard work not to be a driveway queen"

Old 06-06-2012, 10:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I say mod away. I dont think these ''special editions'' are gonna be worth any huge amount for a long time. Maybe if you keep it for your great great grandkids.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:18 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think everyone with a Dale Jr edition should mod them heavily, and drive them into the ground. That way mine might actually be worth something.