General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

insurance for dash gauge needles

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:56 PM
Default insurance for dash gauge needles

does anyone know if this is covered because its a very critical part of the car. im going to call my insurance company and also the automotive service finance company people tomorrow.
these are gonna be my keypoints:
1: speedometer stops working: speeding tickets.
2: fuel gauge stops working: stranded with no gas.
3: temp gauge stop working in hot summer: overheating

do you guys think i have a solid case here?

Old 01-28-2011, 12:03 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by nighthawk626
does anyone know if this is covered because its a very critical part of the car. im going to call my insurance company and also the automotive service finance company people tomorrow.
these are gonna be my keypoints:
1: speedometer stops working: speeding tickets.
2: fuel gauge stops working: stranded with no gas.
3: temp gauge stop working in hot summer: overheating

do you guys think i have a solid case here?
probably not, your probably going to have it into bbengineer.com

gm had a replacement for warranty stuff and all that but none that i know of for montes unless you take it back to the place you bought it from, if that was recent

Old 01-28-2011, 04:07 AM

I honestly think that the only place that would cover the cost of the gauges is if you have some sort of warranty on the car.
GM never even issued a recall for the failing gauges as far as I know. They were never actually shown to be any sort of safety hazard, so although failing gauges can put you in a crappy situation, you're not any more likely to get someone else to pay for them than you are to have your brakes or tires paid for.

Best of luck,
-Riggs.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:04 AM

This posting reminded me of one of my favorite scenes in the classic "Planes, Trains, and Automobile's" movie. RIP, John Candy. It's when they were driving down the road in that God awful Chrysler K-car -after John Candy's character had accidentily burned most of the car to the ground. They get pulled over by a cop ...................

Del: Top of the morning officer, Is there something I can help you with?
Officer: What the hell are you driving here?
Del: We had a small fire last night…hee…heee. but we caught it in the nick of time.
Officer: You have any idea how fast you were going?
Del: Oddly enough I was just talking to my friend about that….our speedometer is melted….and as a result it’s very hard to say with any degree of accuracy how fast we were going.
Officer: 78 miles per hour.
Del: Whew….78 huh? Well…yeah….I could buy that…sure I guess…you know…uhhh…you’d know better than us uuhhh….especially since we’ve got a melted speedometer.
Officer: Do you feel this vehicle is safe for highway travel?
Del: Yes I do….Yes I really do…I believe that….I know it’s not pretty to look at….but It’ll get you where you want to go.
Officer: Now you have no outside mirror.
Del: No we lost that.
Officer: You have no functioning gauges.
Del: No…not a one. However the radio still works…funny as that may seem…with all this mess the radio is the only thing really working good. Clear as a bell, don’t ask me how.
Officer: Can’t let you go ahead in this vehicle.
Del: Can’t what?
Officer: No…It’s not fit for the road. The vehicle will be impounded until such time as it can be made worthy for state highway travel.