General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

crank case breather

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default crank case breather

I have seen many newer montes with a breather filter in place of their oil cap. In consideration of doing this to my own car, what are the gains, pros, cons, and the prerequisites to this?

Old 01-23-2011, 08:20 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

from an earlier post by chibi Mike....

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
You should just put the regular oil cap back on your car and just use the breather for shows. That breather is only for people that need to disable the PCV system because of something like an intercooler. Your PCV will vent your crankcase enough and better than that.

You are doing more harm than good Your oil cap and dipstick are sealed off for a reason

Old 01-23-2011, 08:30 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
from an earlier post by chibi Mike....
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
You should just put the regular oil cap back on your car and just use the breather for shows. That breather is only for people that need to disable the PCV system because of something like an intercooler. Your PCV will vent your crankcase enough and better than that.

You are doing more harm than good Your oil cap and dipstick are sealed off for a reason
What does the oil filler cap have to do with the intercooler? I have no clue. I know that my "old" pcv system vents to atmosphere, but I don't know why... I am really curious. I'm not posting this to be contrary.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:35 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

Greg, just something I remember reading here....I'm also not trying to be contrary either....

Old 01-24-2011, 10:08 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you need to have a vent for your crankcase because you had to disable your PCV system, then you should run the filter oil cap.

If you want to have it, just because you think it looks cool but still have a functioning PCV system, then you aren't helping.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
if you need to have a vent for your crankcase because you had to disable your pcv system, then you should run the filter oil cap.

If you want to have it, just because you think it looks cool but still have a functioning pcv system, then you aren't helping.
thissssss

Old 01-26-2011, 07:19 AM

And this is why I posted on this subject. I didn't know if it would help or strictly for show.

How would running an intercooler be any different on whether its needed or not

Old 01-27-2011, 11:47 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Because you have to disable the PCV system in your engine in order to run one most of the time.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:59 AM

What does the oil filler cap have to do with the intercooler?
It doesn't. A breather would usually take the place of the oil filler cap, as it allows a direct vent to the crankcase in a car that doesn't have a working pcv system.

For the OP, there is no benefit to this unless you're going turbo (in which case the benefit is the turbo lol, and there just isn't a way around the breather otherwise), and on a stock n/a car could end up making your car run worse (you'd be creating a vacuum leak essentially).

Because you have to disable the PCV system in your engine in order to run one most of the time.
Not really. Of the three vendors that are currently selling L67/L32 intercoolers, the ZZP and PRJ have full stock pcv function. The W-body store core doesn't retain full pcv function, but it does retain the vacuum source from the rear head. It only blocks off the fresh air source going into the front head. I guess a few of the older cores had a setup similar to the WBS core, but I wouldn't say most.
Also for an intercooler core that blocks off the front stock pcv passages (like the WBS one), you're better off routing metered air into the valve cover instead of running a breather. I guess this can be a little tricky with a stock L67 throttlebody, but is really easy with a northstar or LS1 throttlebody setup.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:35 AM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

Thanks biggriggs. Great info.

Quick Reply: crank case breather