General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Opinion Needed: Gas mileage problems... Where to start please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 08:27 PM
Default Gas mileage problems... Where to start please!

Hi all, I don't exactly know where to post my question, So I figured I'd start here.

I have a 97 3.1 Ls Mc, and am having some problems with her :/

1st: when I take off from a dead stop she "acts" like she done wanna go, and will rev. up to 6,000 rpm before shifting out of first, and second. Once she hits third, she is fine and drives without a problem in the world.
--^If someone could point me in the right direction to get that fixed, that would be dearly appreciated!!

2nd: It may be because of my first issue mentioned, But I'm only getting around 11Mpg!!!!! All of my tires, alignment, and suspension are up to date, and there are no leaks coming from the car!! So could someone tell me where my gas is going? And how to fix this problem!!

Any opinion or info will be verrrrrrrrry much appreciated!!!!
thanks!

Old 05-02-2014, 10:10 PM

Sounds like a tranny problem to me, I'm sure that isn't your gas problem however. But if it revs up that high before shifting your first gear may be going out.

How many miles on the car? You clean your maf? New air filter? No codes on bad o2 sensor? More info needed lol

Old 05-02-2014, 11:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It could be many things. First, do you have any check engine lights, if so, start with getting those codes.

It could be a clogged cat, a possible way to check, when the car is warm, look under it and see if the cat is glowing red. If so, it's definitely a bad cat. Even if it's not red, it does not 100% mean it's not the cat, but I would think your odds decrease at that point.

You might just need new plugs and wires. If you are beyond 150K on the factory set, I would DEFINITELY start with those.

Could be a bad O2 sensor or a MAF issue.

You may want to peak at the thread I linked below for some maintenance items that may need checked that have not been checked:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...0-miles-46078/

Old 05-03-2014, 06:25 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

When you say she revs up to 6000 rpm in first gear, do you mean that your car Move until you reach 6000 or that Once moving she revs that Hi before shifting to second and then the same thing when she shifts to Third?
Either way I think It's your Tranny. First to Second shift solenoids and Trans Presure Control solenoid.
Check your Trans fluid, If it is pink, then It's a Solenoid issue. If it is brown you have Bad Clutches. If it is Blue-ish/Black then you have warn gears or other metal parts.
Check your Trans Fluid and have your PCM scanned for stored codes!

Old 05-03-2014, 06:36 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Has any under hood work been done lately? It sounds like the transmission detent cable isn't adjusted properly.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:01 PM

I found my problem! The 4th and 6th plug wires were switched. I am assuming the guy who had her before me had painted numbers on the coil packs,( as they are blank if you rub the paint off), incorrectly. Thank you all for your suggestions, and I really appreciate the replies to my question. Now I am on to the next big task, replacing the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets! Oh what an oily fun time!!!

Old 05-07-2014, 09:03 PM

Ohhhh and congrats JC!! And just for record she would take off in drive and not shift out of first until 6 g's