General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

gas additives?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by montejass
Sea Foam......

Check it out...
I was looking at this stuff. Whats the best way to add it? It says to add to the vac. lines and into the oil and then some into the gas? Or would you just add a half to oil half to gas with one bottle?

Old 08-28-2009, 08:01 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Pure2sin
I was looking at this stuff. Whats the best way to add it? It says to add to the vac. lines and into the oil and then some into the gas? Or would you just add a half to oil half to gas with one bottle?
Buy one bottle. Put half of it in your 1/4 full gas tank then fill the tank.

The other half through your brake booster line. Let the car get up to operating temperature and then shut it off. Pull your brake booster line, and then start the car with your thumb over the vacuum. Then pour it in, you have to do it very slowly or the engine will die out. Keep pouring very slowly and then when you get towards the end, just dump it all in and choke the engine out. Turn it off and let it sit for about 30-45 minutes. Start it up and let it smoke (if you have a lot of carbon build-up) when it's done smoking take it for a good ride (a full WOTs) to get all the other smoke out.

Seafoam done.

You can find it at autoparts stores, I found mine at Advance auto for like $7, I did it for the first time not too long about (with 162,000 miles) and I didn't smoke at all. I was disappointed because I was looking forward to the smoke show, then realized it not smoking means I have a clean engine, for its mileage and its age then I was happy lol

Old 08-28-2009, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Pure2sin
It depends, I have never added SeaFoam to the vac line, I normally wait till I get down to 1/4 tank of fuel, dump an entire can in the tank and run it till almost on E. If you have sludge buildup internally you can add it to the crank case but I have always used M1 that is changed every 4K and have not had sludge build up issues.

If you have not run any type of combustion cleaner maybe the vac line is the way to go. Make sure that you don't run it through the vac line in a closed area (i.e. Garage) I hear that the smoke it produces one dumped into the vac system is overwhelming.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
Buy one bottle. Put half of it in your 1/4 full gas tank then fill the tank.

The other half through your brake booster line. Let the car get up to operating temperature and then shut it off. Pull your brake booster line, and then start the car with your thumb over the vacuum. Then pour it in, you have to do it very slowly or the engine will die out. Keep pouring very slowly and then when you get towards the end, just dump it all in and choke the engine out. Turn it off and let it sit for about 30-45 minutes. Start it up and let it smoke (if you have a lot of carbon build-up) when it's done smoking take it for a good ride (a full WOTs) to get all the other smoke out.

Seafoam done.

You can find it at autoparts stores, I found mine at Advance auto for like $7, I did it for the first time not too long about (with 162,000 miles) and I didn't smoke at all. I was disappointed because I was looking forward to the smoke show, then realized it not smoking means I have a clean engine, for its mileage and its age then I was happy lol
Yeah........... What he said.

You have over 162K on your Monte???

Old 08-28-2009, 08:24 AM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by montejass
You have over 162K on your Monte???
That I do.

Since I moved to Philly I don't put nearly as many miles on it as I used to. But growing up living with my parents they lived out in the middle of nowhere and I was a very social person. So I spent a lot of time and miles on highways going places.

The nearest mall? 65 miles one-way
The nearest movies? 50 miles one-way
My best friend? 40 miles one-way.

Lots of time spent in my driver's seat. Loved every minute of it. Slowly working on the engine, repairing some old worn out parts, upgrading new parts but keeping it non-boosted. Already put in a new Transmission. Working on just getting it to be show-car ready now and I'm gonna retire it for a Sunday driver and get myself something new to daily drive. Hopefully within 2 years it's retired as my daily driver.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

anyone use the lucas oil injector cleaner? i just picked some up on sale for like 4 bucks, it cant hurt can it?

Old 08-31-2009, 09:40 AM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by trewyn15
anyone use the lucas oil injector cleaner? i just picked some up on sale for like 4 bucks, it cant hurt can it?
You just gotta watch when you keep throwing stuff in that's not gas into your gas tank. You shouldn't do it often, and really it doesn't work that much.

If you have a clogged or bad injector the only solution will be to change it. If you want to do preventative build-up I say seafoam at the most once per year, but even every other year would be good.

If you keep throwing injector cleaner, it's possible to clog the injector with stuff that may break off. If the stuff was that magical for a fix it wouldn't be 4 dollars and sold at gas stations. And everyone would recommend it.