6th Gen ('00-'05): fuel filter replacement - Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): fuel filter replacement

Old 10-06-2018, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default fuel filter replacement

replaced my fuel filter today as it has been years since last time and my mpg is sucking, but man what a pain in the ***!! I watched a video on youtube which said with the car running remove the fuel pump fuse and the car will die and purdge the fuel line? ok, did that, once I got the fuel line off it poured gas all over me and the driveway!! LOL! hard to get the metal fuel line to line up and thread onto the filter when your upside down underneath the car with a jack and stands ! seems they could have located this in a more accessable location ? my old '89 Bronco II was on the frame rail under the door on the side, anyway its done and it seems to be smoother running and a bit peppier! hope fully this will help my gas mileage some??

Old 10-08-2018, 08:59 AM

Man, I need to do that on my own 05 Monte. I inspected it this summer and it looked old, assuming it was still the stock fuel filter. Thought about doing the same thing you did, unplugging the fuse and letting it stall. I will probably need a bucket now with what happened to you. Hopefully it wasn't all too messy.

What year / engine is your car? I'm curious what average MPG you're getting.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2009
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Fuel leakage during replacement is normal. The reason for draining via the Schrader valve first is the relieve the pressure. Even at 0 psi, you've still got a line full of fluid though.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:20 AM
5 Year Member

mines a '03 SS 3.8, I was getting about 21-22 mpg in city but it seems its gotten worse lately? have recent plugs, wires but mpg is sucking??

Old 10-10-2018, 08:12 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
Smile

Don't forget the Air Filter either to clean or replace.
Lucas Oil fuel system cleaner will help the mileage some too.

Search this Thread
Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory